[SOLVED] RAM Upgrade

Tompica123

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
Hi! I want to upgrade from 8 gb of ram to 16. I have a 2 sticks of 4 gb ram. I am wondering if I can buy the same kit because in my cpu specs it says that it supports dual channel memory and my motherboard has dual channel memory technology. Can I do that?

Solution
You may actually be running in dual channel now.
You have 2 sticks.
If they are in the right slots (check your motherboard manual) the two sticks you have will run in dual channel.

As far as going from 8 to 16.....IDEALLY you would by four 4GB sticks of the same set OR two 8GB sticks of the same set (that are also on the motherboards QVL list).

If you can't find sets that are on the list....any "set" is always better than mixing them.

...and then of course you can buy two 4GB sticks and match the specs to you other ones as best you can and try it and hope for the best....but this doesn't always work.
You may actually be running in dual channel now.
You have 2 sticks.
If they are in the right slots (check your motherboard manual) the two sticks you have will run in dual channel.

As far as going from 8 to 16.....IDEALLY you would by four 4GB sticks of the same set OR two 8GB sticks of the same set (that are also on the motherboards QVL list).

If you can't find sets that are on the list....any "set" is always better than mixing them.

...and then of course you can buy two 4GB sticks and match the specs to you other ones as best you can and try it and hope for the best....but this doesn't always work.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS