[SOLVED] RAM upgraded 16gb to 32gb. Performance decreased. Thanks in advance!

Jul 5, 2021
I have had an HP Omen 15-dh1005na (Spec sheet) for a few months and I decided to upgrade my RAM from 16gb to 32gb so I could handle solidworks, chrome and games at the same time.

I used crucial's upgrade tool to find compatible RAM.

I used to have: 16 GB DDR4-2933 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB), and I upgraded to: Crucial 32GB Ballistix DDR4 3200 MHz SO-DIMM (2 x 16GB).

However my laptop is now more unstable, game frames are down, and everything is more slugish!

So my question is! Is this RAM not compatible, is it faulty, or do I need to change BIOS settings or update something?

Solution
Running at only 2667 MHz, not even 2933, is a clear sign of a problem.

I looked online, and a lot of people are complaining that this RAM falls to 2667 unless the motherboard is XMP-capable.

If you can't enable XMP, then I suggest you return this RAM, and say it wasn't compatible with your system. If your system is 2933 non-XMP, but Crucial sold you XMP memory, then it means their compatibility checker was wrong.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The memory controller on the i7 in your laptop will only go as far as 2933MHz, so the additional bandwidth is not used, rather the ram kit is downgraded to DDR4-2933MHz. So I'm assuming that with the downclock the ram kit is relegated to working with bad timings. Your service manual, page1 in product description, however does state that the laptop can go to 32GB's of ram.

What BIOS version are you currently on for your laptop? If you have a number of BIOS versions pending update, don't jump to the latest, instead gradually work your way to the latest version.

Jul 5, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The memory controller on the i7 in your laptop will only go as far as 2933MHz, so the additional bandwidth is not used, rather the ram kit is downgraded to DDR4-2933MHz. So I'm assuming that with the downclock the ram kit is relegated to working with bad timings. Your service manual, page1 in product description, however does state that the laptop can go to 32GB's of ram.

What BIOS version are you currently on for your laptop? If you have a number of BIOS versions pending update, don't jump to the latest, instead gradually work your way to the latest version.

Thanks for the help! Here is the BIOS version I have:

BIOS Version/Date AMI F.10, 04/06/2020

I have had an HP Omen 15-dh1005na (Spec sheet) for a few months and I decided to upgrade my RAM from 16gb to 32gb so I could handle solidworks, chrome and games at the same time.

I used crucial's upgrade tool to find compatible RAM.

I used to have: 16 GB DDR4-2933 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB), and I upgraded to: Crucial 32GB Ballistix DDR4 3200 MHz SO-DIMM (2 x 16GB).

However my laptop is now more unstable, game frames are down, and everything is more slugish!

So my question is! Is this RAM not compatible, is it faulty, or do I need to change BIOS settings or update something?
What speed does task manager show the new ram is running at?

2667mhz

I have tried getting into BIOS to increase speed but when I mash esc/ f10 all I get is a hp omen system info thing.
From the HP manual.

Starting Setup Utility (BIOS)CAUTION:Use extreme care when making changes in Setup Utility (BIOS). Errors can prevent the computer from operating properly.▲Turn on or restart the computer and quickly press f10.– or –Turn on or restart the computer, quickly press esc, and then press f10 when the Start menu is displayed.

Jul 5, 2021
Thanks for the help. When I do that I enter HP's Setup utility, which doesn't look like a normal BIOS and I can't figure out how to tweak anything never mind turn on xmp.

Is HP Setup Utility BIOS?

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
Running at only 2667 MHz, not even 2933, is a clear sign of a problem.

I looked online, and a lot of people are complaining that this RAM falls to 2667 unless the motherboard is XMP-capable.

If you can't enable XMP, then I suggest you return this RAM, and say it wasn't compatible with your system. If your system is 2933 non-XMP, but Crucial sold you XMP memory, then it means their compatibility checker was wrong.

Reactions: nikomsuman
Solution

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
Here, I found some memory for you. The manufacturer's spec sheet says 2933 JEDEC (industry standard), not XMP. (More specifically, it has two 2933 MHz profiles: "JEDEC/PnP: DDR4-2933 CL17-19-19 @1.2V" and "XMP Profile #1: DDR4-2933 CL17-19-19 @1.2V". The important point is that it does have a 2933 JEDEC profile.)

Here is some more affordable memory that has looser timings, but still 2933 MHz. The manufacturer boasts JEDEC compatibility.

General procedure: search for 2933 MHz SO-DIMM, then Google the part number, find a manufacturer page, and see if it says JEDEC (good) or XMP (bad).

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021
Thanks so much everyone for your help. I think your right, my laptop isn't capable of enabling xmp as I have tried everything to get it working, even backdating xtu to try get omen command center to show there memory modifier.

As suggested I think I will return the RAM.

Thanks a lot guys! I will now have a look at those RAM links. I'm UK so first link might not be best from me.