[SOLVED] RAM usage at 7.5gb IDLE

w.cattermoul

Reputable
Nov 1, 2018
Hello,

I recently noticed that my RAM usage is way to high at around 7-8gb idle. I have 12GB installed in my system. I went into task manager, but all of the background processes barely reach 2gb in total. I'm really worried that I have downloaded a virus that is eating all my memory because when I built this PC a some years ago I thought 12gb was plenty...

While my PC has been constantly on for the past year or so, I have rebooted multiple times today to try and fix it but with no luck.

Thanks for any help

Solution
Take a screen shot of the following and post it if you can:
  • Go to the "Details" tab and sort by "Working Set (memory)" What the "Processes" tab reports for memory usage is actually "Memory (Private Set)", which is smaller than the Working Set.
  • Also right click on one of the column headers, select "Select Columns", and check "Commit size" and sort by that as well. I'm interested in this because the commit size reported is way larger than what I'd consider normal.
Try reseating the RAM first.

Scan your system with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes.

12GB of RAM means that you have a 8GB and a 4GB stick? That's odd RAM amount because 4GB on your 8GB stick will run in Single Channel and not in Dual Channel. So you have 8GB of Dual Channel Memory and 4GB running in single channel.

A picture of your task manager or resource monitor showing the RAM usage by the one using the most at the top would be great.

Use imgur.com to link the picture here.

Reactions: w.cattermoul

w.cattermoul

Reputable
Nov 1, 2018
Try reseating the RAM first.

Scan your system with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes.

12GB of RAM means that you have a 8GB and a 4GB stick? That's odd RAM amount because 4GB on your 8GB stick will run in Single Channel and not in Dual Channel. So you have 8GB of Dual Channel Memory and 4GB running in single channel.

A picture of your task manager or resource monitor showing the RAM usage by the one using the most at the top would be great.

Use imgur.com to link the picture here.

Hi thanks for reply. Yes, 12GB is odd combination, but at the time I couldn't afford 16GB and 8GB was too little for me. I also tried reseating the RAM, but no results.

View: https://imgur.com/a/DOxDwTr

View: https://imgur.com/a/WSQMIRs

thanks

Take a screen shot of the following and post it if you can:
  • Go to the "Details" tab and sort by "Working Set (memory)" What the "Processes" tab reports for memory usage is actually "Memory (Private Set)", which is smaller than the Working Set.
  • Also right click on one of the column headers, select "Select Columns", and check "Commit size" and sort by that as well. I'm interested in this because the commit size reported is way larger than what I'd consider normal.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS