Question RAM usage problems

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
My computer boots up with its ram already consumed by something that I don't even see on task manager, it starts with %29 or %30 or min %26. A few years ago I remember it was around %13, it was really nice because thats means I can run more software at same time. Is there somekind sleep/hybernation stuff that I need to turn off? Just now running msconfig to disable non-critical services such as rockstar games library, mozilla service, etc rebooted now RAM usage even worse. Steam webhelper absolutely destroys my ram as well, more than 6 process starts up at background as task manager says, I disabled gpu acceleration,fast web scroll via steam settings, rebooted again, did not helped. I think there is some hidden "system" nonsense that consuming my ram. It was literally around %13'ish 1-2 years ago on same hardware. I did not upgraded win10 other than quality fixes from windows update. I usually sleep my pc to save heat when I'm not using it, at nights of course, I turned it off. Right now, I have RDR2 Online running on main menu, 2.555.7MB consumed, msi afterburner,obs,antivirus running at it is already reached to %74. It was like %86 when I first run the game launching. This is a debloated Windows 10 as well with 106 processess running.

Task manager says 5.9/7.9GB (75%) RAM, Commited 12.9/15.8GB, Cached 1.2GB, Available 2.0GB, In use 5.9GB. Also task manager says I have 8.0GB RAM what the hell?? I just noticed this as I'm writing this, I had 16GB RAM for years, what the heck happened?

Reactions: Shoaibuddinyeaser

Lutfij

Titan
Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

You might want to also take into account that MemoryLeak is an issue with all Windows OS since Window's 8. That issue can lead to high CPU SSD, ram or even HDD usages. This is caused by a corruption in the OS. You're only solution out of that is to reinstall the OS after recreating the bootable USB installer to rule out a corrupt installer.

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
CPU:i7 4790K
GPU: GTX 1050ti 4GB
PSU: 750W PSU
Case: A random Gigabyte PC Case
Monitor: Dell monitor 60hz from an office
SSD: Samsung evo 750 256GB (OS on it)
HDD: 1TB Toshiba, Seagate 500GB, plus, one SSD and an external 1TB Sony drive plugged in via USB both.
Motherboard: Z97 ASUS Pro Gamer
CPU Cooler: Intel stock
RAM: 16GB Corsair (BIOS says two sticks installed but total memory is 8GB shown)
BIOS: 2202

HWinfo says that I have indeed 16GB as size, single channel (it was double channel before)
MEMORY MODULES section of the HWinfo also says that I have two sticks however, one is marked #1 and the second is marked #3. It says something like BANK 3/DIMM_B2)

Perhaps some wrong config? I did a RAM test some weeks ago via built in Windows tool, tested was completed with a bsod afterwards during reboot and then I remember getting a pop up at action center saying "no errors were found" with a Windows Memory Checker icon on top. So I take it there is no issues with my RAMs?

Should I run a SFC scan? then a DISM? It was literally 16GB perhaps yesterday. I regularly check RAM usage with task manager is always on top and open all times. If there were issue I notice it as I did now. Only thing I did turned off some non-system related process from msconfig today which was rockstar games and VMware stuff. I also did checked Maximum Memory thing via msconfig boot menu under advanced settings, the tickbox is unchecked with no numbers in it.

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
Looks like I do have 5120MB as virtual memory and I did disabled hibernation via cmd. Recommended is around 1000MB however currently used is 5120MB and it is controlled by system. Is this related?

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
By the way, windows again did set it to 5120MB usage after I did rebooted my pc and after setting it to no paging file thinking thats the issue. It also did not prompt me to reboot, had to manually reboot. Something is wrong, (via Advanced System Settings panel)

HWinfo says that I have indeed 16GB as size, single channel (it was double channel before)
MEMORY MODULES section of the HWinfo also says that I have two sticks however, one is marked #1 and the second is marked #3. It says something like BANK 3/DIMM_B2)

Perhaps some wrong config? I did a RAM test some weeks ago via built in Windows tool, tested was completed with a bsod afterwards during reboot and then I remember getting a pop up at action center saying "no errors were found" with a Windows Memory Checker icon on top. So I take it there is no issues with my RAMs?
This sounds like one of the RAM sticks is going bad. The tester shouldn't complete with a BSOD.

Quick way to verify this is to take out one of the RAM sticks, though verify in your motherboard's manual the order the motherboard requires which slots to be populated

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
This sounds like one of the RAM sticks is going bad. The tester shouldn't complete with a BSOD.

Quick way to verify this is to take out one of the RAM sticks, though verify in your motherboard's manual the order the motherboard requires which slots to be populated

I did not complete with BSOD, it rebooted to desktop with success then got a bsod, plus got a "no errors were found" info after I rebooted again.

I was able to use it 16GBs like yesterday, the test was a week ago or so.