Feb 6, 2020
Hi everyone,

I currently have a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 (5559) with 8GB memory that I use for school. Normally I have just a few programs open at a time, like Chrome (5-15 tabs), iTunes, BOINC, Windows Mail, File Explorer, and occasionally something like Word, etc. so nothing heavy, but I'm usually using between 5-7GB memory while these are open.

I am looking to upgrade to a new laptop, possibly within the next year. If I were to buy the new Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 laptop with 4GB ram (while keeping its other specifications in mind), would that be enough memory for what I would use it for? I'm assuming my current computer with 8GB is only using so much RAM because it can, and that the XPS could easily do the same tasks with 4GB, but I am just not sure, so here I am. Thanks

Solution
Hi everyone,

I currently have a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 (5559) with 8GB memory that I use for school. Normally I have just a few programs open at a time, like Chrome (5-15 tabs), iTunes, BOINC, Windows Mail, File Explorer, and occasionally something like Word, etc. so nothing heavy, but I'm usually using between 5-7GB memory while these are open.

I am looking to upgrade to a new laptop, possibly within the next year. If I were to buy the new Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 laptop with 4GB ram (while keeping its other specifications in mind), would that be enough memory for what I would use it for? I'm assuming my current computer with 8GB is only using so much RAM because it can, and that the XPS could easily do the same tasks with...
Hi everyone,

I am looking to upgrade to a new laptop, possibly within the next year. If I were to buy the new Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 laptop with 4GB ram (while keeping its other specifications in mind), would that be enough memory for what I would use it for? I'm assuming my current computer with 8GB is only using so much RAM because it can, and that the XPS could easily do the same tasks with 4GB, but I am just not sure, so here I am. Thanks
4GB of RAM is not enough for a computer anymore. I have a laptop with 4GB and it boots Win 10 using 50% and it is very slow overall due to having to page swap all the time since the free RAM is so small. Minimum RAM for any new system right now is 8GB with 16GB being even better. From my experience with 8GB RAM, once you get to 75% usage your computer will start page swapping which will cause the computer to feel that it is stalling out.

Solution