[SOLVED] Ram voltage and xmp questions.

Slaxel

Commendable
Oct 8, 2021
I was just wondering what are the best methods or tips for over clocking ram. I know of xmp and adjusting speeds manually in bios. But what about the volts and the timings and such? I’m just worried simply enabling xmp will not be “optimal” for me.

Solution
the xmp profile should do whatever is needed to set it to 3600. you should not have to do anything manually.

no one can tell you for sure if you'll need any voltage bump, that's the trial and error part of it. set it to 3600 and if it runs stable, then it does not need a bump. if it does not, try the smallest bump you can and see if that helps.

overclocking is a trial and error effort no matter what part you are working on. there is no shortcut to the process.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
what are you're expectations? what are you hoping making the ram faster will accomplish?

before you decide something is not "optimal" you need to answer these questions and then start looking at what might need to change. overclocking ram is just like overclocking a cpu or a video card. step by step until it is where it wants to be. up the speed until it needs more voltage, then up the speed and so on until it won't take anymore.

then back it off slightly and that's where you're at for a final result. but it is unlikely you'll see any major improvement that makes the effort worth it. but if you suffer from FOMO, i guess it could be worth the time.

but again define your expectations and why you think simply enabling XMP won't reach that.

Slaxel

Commendable
Oct 8, 2021
I would just like to use my ram near advertised speed. Which is 3600. I’m okay using 3200. Mostly for gaming. I just didn’t know if I needed to change voltages when doing so and if so how will I know if I need more or less? I suppose I can just leave it at Stock and see if that’s the standard I want or not.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the xmp profile should do whatever is needed to set it to 3600. you should not have to do anything manually.

no one can tell you for sure if you'll need any voltage bump, that's the trial and error part of it. set it to 3600 and if it runs stable, then it does not need a bump. if it does not, try the smallest bump you can and see if that helps.

overclocking is a trial and error effort no matter what part you are working on. there is no shortcut to the process.

Solution

Slaxel

Commendable
Oct 8, 2021

Okay cool, thanks dude! I get what you mean. I just was a little unaware of how one recognizes that need for more juice or not.

Slaxel

Commendable
Oct 8, 2021
I hope so too! I got new ram cause I had a bad module. Had it under manufacturer warranty so I hope it was jsut a fluky module and not my old xmp settings or something else