[SOLVED] RAM Voltage over CPU recommendation

Bongert

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020
I was planning on using this kit of memory because it had reasonably high clock speeds and very good CL timings. but pcpartpicker tells me that AMD zen 2 as well as zen 3 cpus recommend running memory at maximum 1.35 volt instead of the 1.5 volt this kit comes with. I wanted to know what would happen if i A) undervolt the memory and B) go over the CPUs recommended memory voltage

Solution
That motherboard doesn't have a QVL yet for Vermeer CPUs, but that memory is not on the QVL for that board with a Matisse CPU, so I would be hesitant to buy it in any case. Could be a road to pain trying to find settings that are stable.

edit: also just noticed that there is no Team memory on the QVL for that board with the Renoir CPUs.

RealBeast

Titan
I was planning on using this kit of memory because it had reasonably high clock speeds and very good CL timings. but pcpartpicker tells me that AMD zen 2 as well as zen 3 cpus recommend running memory at maximum 1.35 volt instead of the 1.5 volt this kit comes with. I wanted to know what would happen if i A) undervolt the memory and B) go over the CPUs recommended memory voltage
IMO 1.5V is too high for DDR4.

Insure that you buy memory that is on the board manufacturer QVL.

Please post more information if you have more questions, including model numbers for CPU, motherboard, and memory.

Bongert

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020
IMO 1.5V is too high for DDR4.

Insure that you buy memory that is on the board manufacturer QVL.

Please post more information if you have more questions, including model numbers for CPU, motherboard, and memory.
i dont own any of the parts in question yet but the board is this one and for the CPU, pc partpicker says the maximum voltage for RAM being 1.35 applies to both Zen 2 as well as Zen 3 chips.
(im just now seeing that pressing enter after inserting a link doesnt work, which explains why people are asking for information i thought i already gave. here is the memory in question)

RealBeast

Titan
That motherboard doesn't have a QVL yet for Vermeer CPUs, but that memory is not on the QVL for that board with a Matisse CPU, so I would be hesitant to buy it in any case. Could be a road to pain trying to find settings that are stable.

edit: also just noticed that there is no Team memory on the QVL for that board with the Renoir CPUs.

Solution