dmk1701

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
I recently completed a new build, specs are:

Mobo: B550 Mortar Wifi
CPU: Ryzen 3600XT
GPU: RTX 2060
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200MHz

All is fine bar the memory speed. It will not exceed 2133MHz and I've tried everything. BIOS reads the memory fine and even shows that it is capable of 3200MHz. I have selected the correct XMP profiles, have also gone into F7 advanced and changed the settings from auto and then manually input the DRAM frequency values myself. I have even reset CMOS. Nothing changes though, I previously posted another topic with screenshots here which may be helpful to look at.

Someone replied here yesterday to tell me to check if the memory I have is compatible with my board. So I went over to the MSI mobo support page and entered the product number and it's not there. Is it really just THAT simple? BIOS can clearly see the memory and what it's capability is but because it's technically not on the list of compatible memory it won't go beyond 21323MHz?

I am about to return my current memory and buy a new one that is on the list of compatible components on the mobo support page, but before I do I want to make sure I'm not wasting my time. If anyone could help I would very greatly appreciate it. I have pretty limited knowledge about this stuff (probably already obvious) and I hope I'm not missing an obvious issue.

Thank you inadvane

Solution
Your screenshots show you're using a saved overclocking profile...if you make changes without updating the profile they will be lost. I'd recommend you stop using a profile, delete it, and start over with the MSI defaults...once you have everything working properly, including memory clocks and voltages, at that time create a profile to save your settings.

I run an MSI board and making manual changes to memory timings and voltages is as easy as possible...I believe you're undoing your attempts because the profile is not updated before you reboot.

dmk1701

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
Thanks all for replies.

What is frustrating is that in any video I watch of someone using BIOS there seems to be different UI to the version I'm seeing. In other vids there is a simple On/Off option for xmp settings whereas on my display it's different. Screenshot is here

dmk1701

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
I don't think so. It says DDR Speed 2133MHz in top left, that 3200 display is where I have manually set it to run at 3200. Even Windows task manager confirms it's running at 2133Mhz

dmk1701

Reputable
Oct 24, 2020
Can you show the screenshot?

Are you saving BIOS settings after enabling A-XMP?

If I understand it correctly, you're setting up ram settings and after reboot nothing changes?
Or it doesn't boot anymore?

Have you tried different ram frequencies? 2400mhz, 2666mhz, 2933mhz?

Sorry, it's not CPU Z, chrome is blacking me from downloading it. I have seen others when they update BIOS it shows 3200MHz in top left but for me 2133MHz it never changes.

Is there any other way besides CPU Z to verify?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks all for replies.

What is frustrating is that in any video I watch of someone using BIOS there seems to be different UI to the version I'm seeing. In other vids there is a simple On/Off option for xmp settings whereas on my display it's different. Screenshot is here

That video shows you how to use thaiphoon burner and dram calculator to give information you need to enter in the bios. It's not another how-to in the bios. I get ui can be different but settings are more less the same, maybe in different places but generally described the same.

Your screenshots show you're using a saved overclocking profile...if you make changes without updating the profile they will be lost. I'd recommend you stop using a profile, delete it, and start over with the MSI defaults...once you have everything working properly, including memory clocks and voltages, at that time create a profile to save your settings.

I run an MSI board and making manual changes to memory timings and voltages is as easy as possible...I believe you're undoing your attempts because the profile is not updated before you reboot.

Solution