Question RAM with no manufacturer or part number

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve009

Commendable
Apr 23, 2017
I recently received and installed memory that was advertised as Hynix IC 8GB DDR4 2400MHz PC4-19200 Unbuffered Non-ECC 1.2V CL17 1Rx8 Single Rank 288 Pin UDIMM Desktop Memory RAM Module Upgrade (Single Rank 8GB). Although it is working correctly, neither CPU-Z nor Speccy can identify its manufacturer or part number, showing them as blank and Unknown, respectively. If it’s authentic Hynix memory, shouldn’t it identify as such? Keep or return it? Thanks.

yugithedestiny2030

Commendable
Jan 29, 2019
There is, but anybody can print a sticker. Aren’t the manufacturer and part number supposed to be encoded in the RAM or its circuit board?
Maybe the modules SPD chips don't contain details of the modules. I think as long as there's warranty and it's working you should be concerned, but I'd recommend checking it every now and then. Also try HWINFO64.

Reactions: Steve009

Steve009

Commendable
Apr 23, 2017
Thanks for the info. I’ll check it out.

I’m concerned that this may be a counterfeit product because I’ve never seen RAM that couldn’t identify itself. Trying to decide whether I should send it back and pay the additional $20 for Crucial or just hope for the best.

Steve009

Commendable
Apr 23, 2017
Amazon... Actually, it’s an Amazon-fulfilled item. Not that that’s a bad thing, but lately I’ve noticed a ton of cheap, badly-designed electronics advertised there with an overwhelming number of fake 5-star reviews to boost sales.

yugithedestiny2030

Commendable
Jan 29, 2019
Thanks for the info. I’ll check it out.

I’m concerned that this may be a counterfeit product because I’ve never seen RAM that couldn’t identify itself. Trying to decide whether I should send it back and pay the additional $20 for Crucial or just hope for the best.
I found a similar case with Hynix here. So as I said, check it with HWINFO64, and if there's still no info and you're concerned then send it back. And make sure you're running these tools as Admin.

Steve009

Commendable
Apr 23, 2017
HWINFO doesn’t know the manufacturer or part number either. But all three utilities (CPU-Z and Speccy) correctly identify the original 8GB Hynix RAM in my PC. (This was a second stick intended to bump my total to 16GB and enable dual channel support.)

Is it common for a RAM module to not supply this info?

yugithedestiny2030

Commendable
Jan 29, 2019
HWINFO doesn’t know the manufacturer or part number either. But all three utilities (CPU-Z and Speccy) correctly identify the original 8GB Hynix RAM in my PC. (This was a second stick intended to bump my total to 16GB and enable dual channel support.)

Is it common for a RAM module to not supply this info?
Not really. Personally, I think you should send it back and clearly point that out in a review for future buyers.

Steve009

Commendable
Apr 23, 2017
It’s green. I emailed Hynix support to ask if any of their memory would lack the SPD info.

I think I’ll probably return it. Just heard back from Timetec that it is original Hynix memory, but they do not (or haven’t purchased the rights to) include the manufacturer and part number in SPD.

Other than the hassle of returning it and waiting another 10-14 days for a replacement from someone else, it seems idiotic for me to risk a new $1200 PC to save $20 on RAM. Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions and information (HWINFO and about SPD).

Reactions: yugithedestiny2030

Steve009

Commendable
Apr 23, 2017
And... I seem to have changed my mind. I reran HWINFO and noticed that further down the page it identified the new RAM as being Hynix (confirming ko888’s idea, I think). Given that:
  1. the specs match those of the orginal Hynix memory
  2. it’s reported to be operating in dual channel mode,
  3. it passes Dell’s memory and memory stress diagnostics, and
  4. Timetec offers lifetime support,
I guess there’s no pressing need to return it. I have no idea whether it’s faster or slower than it should be (Userbenchmarks reports only two people with this configuration), but it seems to be working.

Reactions: yugithedestiny2030
Status
Not open for further replies.