[SOLVED] RAM With Ryzen 5950X

MrHumbleification

Honorable
Feb 10, 2015
Hello,

I am sure many people have been asking about this but I am not too familiar with the nuances of RAM settings

Currently, I'm running a ASRock Taichi, 5950x and TridentZ 32GB (4x8) CAS-19 3600Mhz

How do I maximize the performance in relation to my CPU and RAM?

From what I understand, the FCLK and frequency of RAM should match to maximize the performance.

Would the best way be to just turn on XMP and set the FCLK to half of what the RAM frequency is?

What about other settings like timings? What other settings do I need to know to maximize performance and stability?

Thank you so much!

Solution
You have the Asrock x570 taichi? If so I have the same board and know straight away that you should definitely set your XMP on and manually set your FCLK to 1800. Then under that in "dram voltages and timings" go all the way to gear down mode and select enable. That should give you the full performance of your RAM. You can try overclocking your RAM but I would focus on overclocking the timings rather than the core clocks. 3600MHz is the sweet spot and any higher will only give like 1-2 FPS more, not worth it in my opinion. Your focus should be faster timings, that'll really show performance gains, especially since your timings are CL19 which is relatively high for DDR4 (higher timings is bad). First make sure your system can boot fine...
You have the Asrock x570 taichi? If so I have the same board and know straight away that you should definitely set your XMP on and manually set your FCLK to 1800. Then under that in "dram voltages and timings" go all the way to gear down mode and select enable. That should give you the full performance of your RAM. You can try overclocking your RAM but I would focus on overclocking the timings rather than the core clocks. 3600MHz is the sweet spot and any higher will only give like 1-2 FPS more, not worth it in my opinion. Your focus should be faster timings, that'll really show performance gains, especially since your timings are CL19 which is relatively high for DDR4 (higher timings is bad). First make sure your system can boot fine with the settings I mentioned initially then if all is good start to manually lowering the timings one section at a time (trp, tras, trcd, etc) that way if one of them is unstable you'll know what to set it to that is stable.

Take it slow and don't worry about destroying your system by overclocking. It's only when you push your components to unsafe voltages that really harm it ( Ryzen CPUs are safe up to 1.325v and DDR4 RAM is 1.45v, though I personally wouldn't go higher than 1.425)

Solution