[SOLVED] Ram won't fit into motherboard slots!

Jul 27, 2019
I had bought an xw6600 motherboard off of my friend, I think he had previously bought it off ebay. The problem happened when I bought ram, that I thought would work, since the board is DDR2 PC2-5300.

The problem is that the ram won't even fit into the slots. I've previously built computers before and have never had a problem with installing ram. I know server parts are definitely not as universal with part compatibility as normal pc parts, but I don't have any clue why it won't even fit in the board. The only thing that I could think is that I didn't get the right ram or I wasn't given the correct ram since I did notice some minor appearance differences in the ram I received vs the ram in the listing.

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.
View: https://imgur.com/a/7pCXQIM

Solution
Your board uses a specialized form of memory -- 240-pin DDR2 FB-DIMMs , THESE. They do not fit standard 240 pin DDR2 as they have a different slot notches and are not mechanically or electrically compatible with standard DDR2 memory.
since you don't mention it, I have to ask the obvious - have you tried rotating the RAM modules 180 degrees?

The slot key not in the middle of the socket, it is offset to one side, to prevent people from using the wrong kind of RAM

If you've got DDR2 RAM, they should fit the motherboard according to the specs

Last edited:

RealBeast

Titan
since you don't mention it, I have to ask the obvious - have you tried rotating the RAM modules 180 degrees?

The slot key not in the middle of the socket, it is offset to one side, to prevent people from using the wrong kind of RAM

That board uses a specialized type of memory, that is incompatible with standard DDR2.

Jul 27, 2019

Yes I have tried rotating it and using different types of DDR2 ram