[SOLVED] RAM won't hit 4000MHz! Any suggestions are nice!

Aug 5, 2020
I have purchased some TForce Xcalibur RGB RAM that are rated at 4000MHz @ CL 16-20-20-44 1.35Vs. I can't get them to go past 3600MHz whether it's XMP or manually. My MOBO is a Z390M Gaming CF and am running an i7 9700k . My BIOS is up to date and supports 4266MHz RAM.. so this should work. I contacted Gigabyte and the phone support said that it's not compatible.. but when I go to the Team Group website and look at the RAM it clearly says the z390m gaming is supportedhttps://www.teamgroupinc.com/en/sup...R RGB DDR4&select3=PC&select4=GIGABYTE&page=2 . Anyone have any thoughts on this? One person seemed to think it's the 9700k and it only allows up to 3600MHz.. But I see youtube videos of people using a 9700K with 4000MHz and higher. So That can't be it.

Solution
All system settings can be marginally different. It's really a matter of knowing your Bios and trying different settings. Sometimes looser timings can help so try it an see.
Don't make arbitrary changes without knowing the consequence or you will get frustrated.

Each time you try changing settings you should stress test for stability. I use AIDA64 which is free and will test your FPU CPU,Cache,RAM,and GPU.
Stick to whatever works so long as your stable.
I'm afraid it can be it zer0mavrick for some controllers.

There is no guarantee that the rated frequency of your "OC" ram can be reached. It is up to the strength of the memory controller on the CPU . I have checked and the 9700k officially supports up to 2666 MHz.

Ryzen and Intel can be picky with RAM modules as to whether XMP will work and you should check that your TForce kit are listed on the MB QVL, and that they have been tested in conjunction with the MB manufacturers QVL.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020
I'm afraid it can be it zer0mavrick for some controllers.

There is no guarantee that the rated frequency of your "OC" ram can be reached. It is up to the strength of the memory controller on the CPU . I have checked and the 9700k officially supports up to 2666 MHz.

Ryzen is picky with RAM and you should check that your TForce kit are listed on the MB QVL, and that they have been tested in conjunction with the MB manufacturers QVL.
One person said the problem is that my MOBO is T topology and I have to have all sticks populated for it to work. Does that sound right?

NO you do not need to have all ram slots populated, In fact it's best to have one slot populated for test purposes. You can use Memtest86 to check all modules for any errors. Use your Bios to slowly increase ram frequency and voltage by adjusting your timings and dram voltage. (don't exceed 1.4v)
You may not achieve the RAMs rated frequency so it's up to you if you choose to keep what you have or exchange them for a less expensive lower rated kit.

Aug 5, 2020
I would try enabling XMP but running the ram at 1.45v or so which may help it to work properly.

Intel only rates the i7 9700k at up to 2666mhz ram, so anything past that is not 100% guaranteed.
One person said the problem is that my MOBO is T topology and I have to have all sticks populated for it to work. Does that sound right?

Honestly, I'm not sure about the topology thing, but I have never heard of a motherboard ONLY supporting a high-frequency ram kit when all 4 slots are populated.

In most cases running 4 sticks is a little more challenging for the memory controller than 2 sticks so it can cause problems with faster ram speed, but maybe thats more of a Ryzen thing.

All system settings can be marginally different. It's really a matter of knowing your Bios and trying different settings. Sometimes looser timings can help so try it an see.
Don't make arbitrary changes without knowing the consequence or you will get frustrated.

Each time you try changing settings you should stress test for stability. I use AIDA64 which is free and will test your FPU CPU,Cache,RAM,and GPU.

Solution
Aug 5, 2020

i have it at 3600MHz @ 16 17 17 35 timings. I may try tightening the timings a bit later. I ran memtest5 on it and it didn't throw any errors