[SOLVED] RAM won't work properly with Gigabyte Z270 mobo?

Jul 16, 2021
https://www.gigabyte.com/ca/Motherboard/GA-Z270-HD3-rev-10#kf

This is the closest I can find to my mobo (because mine comes up as Z270-HD3-CF in CPU-Z). It states under Specifications > Memory that it supports up to 64GB of system memory, with dual-channel memory architecture. It supports all the way up to 3866 overclock. However, a little below that it mentions that it has "Support for non-ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8/1Rx16 memory modules".

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX79875

This is the RAM that I purchased. Aside from mentioning that 32GB is overkill for a gaming PC, they said the RAM should be compatible with my setup (they knew what mobo I had, CPU [Intel Core i7-7700k], and said it should be fine.

The problems are two-fold. Either a) I try to engage XMP which sets it to 3600mhz and then my computer will not boot, or b) I don't OC past 3000mhz and my computer boots but with a twist - it only identifies 1 stick of RAM being used. It also says in UserBenchmark, CPU-Z, and Speccy that it's single-channel. Speccy says 32gb but unknown single channel RAM, CPU-Z says 32GB at a lower clock speed, UBM and Task Manager on the other hand say that only 1 DIMM of 4 is in use despite me looking right at the RGB glowing sticks in my tower.

Things I've tried based on random posts I've seen with similar issues:
-Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
-Moved the RAM sticks from DDR4_1/DDR4_2 to DDR4_3/DDR4_4 (the computer wouldn't boot)
-Completely removed the CPU fan, cleaned both the fan and CPU with rubbing alcohol and checked the board for bent pins before reseating the CPU fan (and re-applied thermal paste)
-Upped the voltage to 1.4V (I think? The BIOS doesn't have the exact same settings as other posts here/LTT/YouTube/etc suggested but DRAM Voltage is what I changed)

I called and asked the people where I got the RAM and the guy essentially said they don't condone overclocking as a general rule, and that my CPU is only rated for 2133 RAM but after randomly checking a ton of different CPU I couldn't find a single CPU "rated" for even over 3k. I'm at a loss, if I bought RAM I can't use it isn't the end of the world because I can just keep it for when I have the money to upgrade the rest of my system, but I'm feeling like I'm missing something. I have a Z-board Dual-Channel capable with a -K CPU and I don't know why I can't run my new RAM the speeds advertised.

I'm fully prepared to be called dumb, lol.

Solution
There are no dumb questions here :ROFLMAO: SilviteRamirez.

Although your MB supports up to 3866Mhz, it also depends on the CPU and yours supports 2133/2400Mhz. Anything above that is considered OC RAM and the rated frequency is not guaranteed. Reason being the IMC is what determines what frequency your RAM will work at.
There may be a an XMP profile for your RAM however if not then you will have to try manually programming Timings and voltage in bios and no guarantees.
Best is to purchase a single kit of RAM that your CPU and MB supports that are selected from your MB QVL.

Although your MB supports up to 3866Mhz, it also depends on the CPU and yours supports 2133/2400Mhz. Anything above that is considered OC RAM and the rated frequency is not guaranteed. Reason being the IMC is what determines what frequency your RAM will work at.
There may be a an XMP profile for your RAM however if not then you will have to try manually programming Timings and voltage in bios and no guarantees.
Best is to purchase a single kit of RAM that your CPU and MB supports that are selected from your MB QVL.

Solution

SoumithCS

Reputable
Oct 6, 2020
Intel CPU's IMC according to JEDEC rules supports maximum RAM Frequency upto 2993 Mhzin Dual channel Mode. The XMP profile just overclocks the RAM to 3200Mhz which helps in faster clock timing but it might stress out your IMC and better IPC bridge transfers. And one more thing is that Intel CPUs gain negligible boost for RAM overclocking.

Jul 16, 2021

So I had old Ripjaws 2x8gb before, would it be worth reinstalling these for the time being until I can get a more to-date setup?

Also do you have any ideas why Windows and UBM isn't identifying the other stick despite CPU-Z and Speccy finding them (sadly only in Single Channel) and also them both appearing to be connected visually via the RGB lights illuminating on both? Do you think it's more about the speed, the size, or the manufacturer of the RAM that's causing an issue?

So I had old Ripjaws 2x8gb before, would it be worth reinstalling these for the time being until I can get a more to-date setup?

Also do you have any ideas why Windows and UBM isn't identifying the other stick despite CPU-Z and Speccy finding them (sadly only in Single Channel) and also them both appearing to be connected visually via the RGB lights illuminating on both? Do you think it's more about the speed, the size, or the manufacturer of the RAM that's causing an issue?

Yes if the Ripjaws are OK (without failure) then use them.
Please list the SKU or P/N of the RAM you wish to use now?

Test each DIMM slot with a module in the slot meant for single channel mode and the other slots to see if the MB slots are operational.

Run Memtest86 from a USB to check for Errors. If any are found then you have a Fail and should RMA the full kit. Run the test on the full kit for 4 passes. You can run the test on each module to determine the culprit.

It will probably be more about the frequency or size than anything else so let's check the specs of your RAM and we will see what can be done.

Jul 16, 2021
The RAM I'm trying to use now is "Trident Z NEO Series 32GB DDR4 3600MHz CL16 Dual Channel Kit (2x 16GB)"

I'll have to get a USB stick for Memtest86, that's why I only did the Windows Memory Diagnostic because I can't find a key atm.

I'll reply back when I've figured out how to use the Memtest86 with results. (or if you say something new re: the RAM I posted)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_xFNojChNA

The fact that your using 34GB at 3600Mhz OC RAM is beyond the CPU's official IMC capability.
G.Skill trident NEO series are excellent modules however the frequency is the issue.
Your going to have to manually key into Bios the Timings and voltage for them to work and there is no guarantee you will reach the rated frequency. That kit is expensive so either return what you have for a kit at the correct frequency that both your MB and RAM supports or accept the lower frequency the Bios deturmines.