[SOLVED] RAM XMP Compatability: 2933mhz vs 3000mhz

DrGreer

Reputable
Apr 16, 2016
My laptop motherboard supports a maximum RAM speed of 3000MHz. I found some deals online for RAM sticks which have a max speed of 2933mhz. I read that 2933mhz is the speed that AMD mobos use but mine is an Intel chipset. If I buy 2933mhz RAM sticks, will my motherboard run them at 2933mhz or will it downgrade to the next level down in speed (Or just not use XMP at all)?

Solution
You should be able to use either 2933 or 3000 when using XMP or manually setting speed and timings if the bios supports that. Buy the modules with the lowest timings, the speed is not going to make any difference.

Link the modules are looking to buy.
You should be able to use either 2933 or 3000 when using XMP or manually setting speed and timings if the bios supports that. Buy the modules with the lowest timings, the speed is not going to make any difference.

Link the modules are looking to buy.

Solution

DrGreer

Reputable
Apr 16, 2016
Those modules should work with your laptop, but there is a chance they may have an issue running at the rated specifications because you didn't buy both modules as a kit. You may have to manually set some timings in the bios to get them to work at or close to the rated specifications without errors.

DrGreer

Reputable
Apr 16, 2016
Those modules should work with your laptop, but there is a chance they may have an issue running at the rated specifications because you didn't buy both modules as a kit. You may have to manually set some timings in the bios to get them to work at or close to the rated specifications without errors.

yeah I was just reading about that. Some people say that kits are better. Some people say that there's functionally no difference as long as it's the exact same model. I could have purchased a 64gb kit (gskill) for the same price but the latency was higher (22) so I went with 2 of these. Hopefully will be no issues.