RAM XMP Profile - Audio Issues

Archiver

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
Hello! I recently upgraded my system to a new i7 6700k, Asus Z170-A, and some Corsair DDR4 RAM rated at 3200 mhz.

(Before anyone asks, the MOBO is rated for up to 3400 MHz XMP profiles, so that should not be the issue, unless my MOBO is defective)

Everything in my system runs great when the RAM is set to its default setting, however once I enable the 3200 MHz XMP profile, I get these annoying audio "pops". Hardly ever while just on the desktop listening to iTunes, but while gaming they are fairly frequent.

I called Corsair and he just said to run Memtest64, and to RMA the memory if it has any errors. Wanted to check here first if anybody else had an issue like this / a possible fix before I go through the hassle of getting a replacement kit and praying it does not give me the same issue.

Link to my ram here - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0143UM4TC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks!

Archiver

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
Update: Ran a quick 2 pass test of all 10 Memtest86 tests. Had 0 errors. I would be pretty agitated if my mobo was the root of the issue ><

Anyone have any ideas?

Archiver

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016

Only solution is to replace the mobo sadly in my case. Got a new gigabyte z370 and works fine.

clovitox

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017
I OC my RAM to 3000Mhz and worked fine but after 3 days the popping and audio crackle suddently started
Founded a fix (95%) but still will contact ASUS to know if its safe. which is to increase the PCH Core voltage.

Archiver

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016

Yikes. After dealing with that issue for so long and experiencing Asus' subpar customer service I just plan on sticking to other brands going forward. I do love my Asus monitor though, even though the first one I got had to be RMA'd due to dead pixel.

Jun 28, 2018

It's not a normal behavior, you should either RMA the board or the RAM depending on which one is causing the issue.

clovitox

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017

It only happens when the XMP profile is enabled and started happening like a day ago when used to work normally. Doing an RMA its not easy for me as i do not live in the USA. Im planing on doing a fresh install on windows 10 soon to see if i can fix this issue, Updating the drivers did not work

clovitox

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017
i figured that using performance ASUS mode, lowering my ram speed to 2933Mhz without having to increase PCH Voltage, the sound problems are reduced. They only appear at the rated 3000Mhz.
what could be the reason for that?
edit: found the complete removal without having to increase the PCH voltage. I found in the ASUS forums that using XMP profile and voltages set to auto the VCCIO and VCCSA were way too high. Lowering them solved the issue

clovitox

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017

Yes, i put them bot at around 1.05-1.08V and now the issue is completely gone. Using the ´´auto´´ feature they were at about 1.2-1.3V which seems pretty high.