Question Ram?

Mar 26, 2019
Hi,
I'm going to buy a ryzen 5 2600x with an Asrock b450 gaming k4. And also "Corsair vengeance lpx black ddr4 3000Mhz 2x8GB (cmk16gx4m2b3000c15)".
First of all, are the ram go with the mobo?
Second, I didn't understand what the 3000Mhz mean. Is that the value of Mhz of the ram that is attainable with overclocking? It's like say the 2600x has 4.2Ghz and not 3.6Ghz (that is the default one).
I saw on the MOBO that without overclocking the mobo can handle to 2667Mhz (what does it mean?) and 3200+ with OC.
The ram has 2133Mhz of SPD speed...
And just to put another number the cpu goes to 2933Mhz (System memory)...
What all this mean? Please help me
Thank you very much

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The 3000MHz is the rated speed the RAM can be set to.
It doesn't mean it can't go above this however, however the RAM is tested and rated as stable up to those speeds.

Your MB will have a native frequency, so a motherboard may have RAM frequency capabilities of 2400, 2666, 3000 (OC), 3200 (OC). The OC basically means you need to overclock in order to operate at that RAM frequency, but you can run 2400 or 2666 without OC.

Your 3000 RAM basically means its rated officially of being able to operate up to 3000 MHz, but it doesn't mean you can't go above that, just means that if you do, you're risking more instability and it's not "officially" supported.

No different than OC CPU or GPU.

That RAM should work with that MB fine, just check the QVL of the manufacturers website first for confirmation, but don't worry if yours isn't on the list, there are so many RAM variations that the QVL will never be updated. Going with a reputable brand like Corsair will almost guarantee that it should be fine.

Reactions: warriorkillerx
Mar 26, 2019
Thank you very much.
On the QVL there isn't my ram.
If I buy this ram, how can I make the ram go to 2666Mhz (because the SPD speed is 2133Mhz)?
And also, why not buy a 2666Mhz ram if without oc of the mobo i can bring the ram up to 2666?

Mar 26, 2019
The 3000MHz is the rated speed the RAM can be set to.
It doesn't mean it can't go above this however, however the RAM is tested and rated as stable up to those speeds.

Your MB will have a native frequency, so a motherboard may have RAM frequency capabilities of 2400, 2666, 3000 (OC), 3200 (OC). The OC basically means you need to overclock in order to operate at that RAM frequency, but you can run 2400 or 2666 without OC.

Your 3000 RAM basically means its rated officially of being able to operate up to 3000 MHz, but it doesn't mean you can't go above that, just means that if you do, you're risking more instability and it's not "officially" supported.

No different than OC CPU or GPU.

That RAM should work with that MB fine, just check the QVL of the manufacturers website first for confirmation, but don't worry if yours isn't on the list, there are so many RAM variations that the QVL will never be updated. Going with a reputable brand like Corsair will almost guarantee that it should be fine.

Thank you very much.
On the QVL there isn't my ram.
If I buy this ram, how can I make the ram go to 2666Mhz (because the SPD speed is 2133Mhz)?
And also, why not buy a 2666Mhz ram if without oc of the mobo i can bring the ram up to 2666?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Here is a decent guide to most of your questions: Overclocking your RAM
Again, going above the rated speed can be done assuming your MB and CPU can handle it, it just risks more instability.
Working to rated speeds means you're guaranteed to be working in tested and defined parameters set by the manufacturer.

As I said, don't be worried if it isn't on the QVL - it's impossible to keep them up to date, I'd bet you'd be fine with Corsair LPX modules in nearly any motherboard/CPU combination. You can always do a bit of self research to see if anyone has had specific issues with that RAM.