[SOLVED] Ram

J8Y

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019
Hi all
Does anybody know if you can put higher then 2133mhz ram on a msi 970 Krait?
I’m currently on DDR3 2x8gb @ 2133mhz...if that helps? I don’t really need to go up to 32gb just wanted to know if it can take more?
Running...

FX 9590
GTX 1080 ti, would higher rem speeds benefit?

Solution
More ram is better yes but not a great deal between 16gb and 32gb for now in most games. These days 16gb is the sweet spot. 8gb used to be the sweet spot a few years ago, people said back then 16gb is overkill, don't need that much for games. Well, same thing is said about 32gb and 16gb is slowly becoming 'entry' as it is now with 8gb. Games are always evolving and requiring more. For the moment 16gb is fine.

Yes, ram is still needed for computers to run. That won't change.

1tb / 2tb ssds have been around for awhile. For your system just the normal sata 2.5" ssd. Samsung make good ssds. Ignore m2 nvme ssds, your board is too old for those newer ssd types but the sata ssds are excellent anyway. Compared to hdds, there's no comparison...

J8Y

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019
Dam, I’ve literally just gone from fx8350 to 9590!!! Guess I’m behind a bit. As 2133 is max I’ll keep going for a bit & as you said ryzen is the way forward. Probably just go R5 2600x. Thank you for your feedback 👍

J8Y

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019
Hi, me again
I was wondering...would 32gb 2133mhz have more impact than just 16gb (I’m not tech savvy) but I’m guessing it would, but I don’t know how it would & was does it boost?

J8Y

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019
No, I’m on hdd. Not looked into ssd yet, once I understand how it works I’ll probably get one. I know it’s storage but do you transfer your windows 10 over to it or just save games on it?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
An ssd with Windows & games installed on it would make a bigger difference compared to going from 16gb to 32.

Windows pagefile, driver initiations, map loading - including on-the-fly loading in huge maps, streaming assets and overall better experience. They are certainly worth having.

New drives i recommend a full reinstall, though you can use software to clone. I've never cloned so don't know much about that but i would rather do it properly and reinstall the os and games. There is an in-depth guide how to install Win10 on a new drive in the Win10 forum here.

J8Y

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019
Ok cool, I’ll check that out. So would you actually need ram if you have ssd or do you still need ram for your computer to run? If I had 32gb ram and a 1tb ssd (if they do 1TB that is) would that make a difference?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
More ram is better yes but not a great deal between 16gb and 32gb for now in most games. These days 16gb is the sweet spot. 8gb used to be the sweet spot a few years ago, people said back then 16gb is overkill, don't need that much for games. Well, same thing is said about 32gb and 16gb is slowly becoming 'entry' as it is now with 8gb. Games are always evolving and requiring more. For the moment 16gb is fine.

Yes, ram is still needed for computers to run. That won't change.

1tb / 2tb ssds have been around for awhile. For your system just the normal sata 2.5" ssd. Samsung make good ssds. Ignore m2 nvme ssds, your board is too old for those newer ssd types but the sata ssds are excellent anyway. Compared to hdds, there's no comparison.

Ssds are small. I just use double sided velcro to stick it somewhere flat and in reach of the cables. Ssd's have no moving parts so yeah, an actual cradle isn't necessary.

Solution

J8Y

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019
Very good point, I’ll probably give the fx9590 6months to a year as I’ve only just got it, keep the 16gb don’t bother with32gb, bag myself an ssd & by that time I’m sure I’ll be looking at ryzen 7 or 9 with liquid cooler...roll on next year 👍

boju

Titan
Ambassador
That sounds good. Personally id advice against liquid coolers. Pumps can fail eventually, leaks can spawn, liquid evaporation through the tubes, needing to maintain the water with anti corrosive coolant, it's not worth the hassle where you can grab a top of the line air cooler like the Noctua 15 or 15s (smaller version) and be just as good and last forever. Just need to be dusted every now and then.