Question RAM

Jun 10, 2023
i currently hv 2x 4gb ram , planning to make it 16 gb , do i need the exact same model my ram have or i just can add 1 single channle 8 gb ram into it ? pls help

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Might want to be as detailed as possible with your specs by listing them like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the make and models of each part. As for your motherboard, please mention the BIOS version you're on at this moment of time.

D

Deleted member 2947362

it may work or it may not your supposed to by ram in kits like x2 kit if using 2 sticks of ram or x4 kit for 4 sticks of ram.

however I'm curranty run 16gig x2 32gig kit corsair xmp 3200 2 rank ram 1.35v and a 4gig x2 kit of team force elite 2400 1 rank ram 1.2v giving me a total of 40gig system ram.

I had the ram speed set at 2133mhz and voltage for ram at 1.2v not had 1 single problem

I'm curranty running the ram at 2400mhz 1.24v with no issues

I have tested the combo up to 3200mhz at 1.35v with no problems but opted not to over volt the team force elite kit to high as its not xmp and stick with 2400mhz 1.24v for the time being.

Ram slot config

1 channel are the 16gig r2 3200 sticks
2nd channel are the 4gig r1 sticks

don't try and mix 1 stick of rank 1 rated ram with a single stick of 2 rank rated ram

r1 ram must be in the same channel like the r2 ram should be in their channel not mixed like r1 ram and r2 ram in the same channel.

Last edited by a moderator:

USAFRet

Titan
however I'm curranty run 16gig x2 32gig kit corsair xmp 3200 2 rank ram 1.35v and a 4gig x2 kit of team force elite 2400 1 rank ram 1.2v giving me a total of 40gig system ram.

I had the ram speed set at 2133mhz and voltage for ram at 1.2v not had 1 single problem
And I just tried similar, and it failed.

All Corsair Vengeance LPX:

Orig:
2x 16GB (32GB), slot 2 & 4

Add 2x 32GB (64GB), slot 1 & 3

It boots up no problem. All 96GB recognized.
After a couple of minutes, ethernet cuts out.

Fully repeatable.

Each set works on its own, in either slot pair.
All 4 together does not work, in any slot config.

D

Deleted member 2947362

And I just tried similar, and it failed.

All Corsair Vengeance LPX:

Orig:
2x 16GB (32GB), slot 2 & 4

Add 2x 32GB (64GB), slot 1 & 3

It boots up no problem. All 96GB recognized.
After a couple of minutes, ethernet cuts out.

Fully repeatable.

Each set works on its own, in either slot pair.
All 4 together does not work, in any slot config.
I guess it must have a lot to do with luck which in that case I have been lucky for a lot of years when it's come to mixed ram

D

Deleted member 2947362

"After a couple of minutes, ethernet cuts out."

I have also read about some intel onboard nic's that keep losing connection maybe that is the issue for these people?

D

Deleted member 2947362

OK.

Could it be related to these people who have AMD or Intel CPU with Intel NIC but blaming the Intel NIC and not RAM knowing your system has an RealTek NIC?

but take all that with a large pinch of salt as I don't know what the RAM configs where with these peoples system setups
I was just wondering if maybe it's related?

USAFRet

Titan
OK.

Could it be related to these people who have AMD or Intel CPU with Intel NIC but blaming the Intel NIC and not RAM knowing your system has an RealTek NIC?

but take all that with a large pinch of salt as I don't know what the RAM configs where with these peoples system setups
I was just wondering if maybe it's related?
Completely unknown.

But I would still point to the mixed RAM as the issue.

D

Deleted member 2947362

Thanks for your info on the Issue.

Oh well, With this lovely weather we are having where I live at the moment I'm off to a barbecue.

TRENDING THREADS