ram

G

i am currently working on a packard bell ,that has 32meg ,it has a cyrix 300 mhz chip in it,i told the person to scrap it,question is they would like to up grade to 64 meg of ram ,it is funny looking it is not pc100 ,itis approx 2yrs old any help on what kind of ram it is would be appreciated. maybe it is edo ram?

G

Do you see any DIMM's or any SIMM's thats the real question.

If you see any DIMM's then its a good chance its PC66 memory
(DIMM's remember have 168 pins, PC100 may also work on this system as-well in this case)

If you see SIMM's its a good (well great chance) that its EDO memory
(SIMM's remember have 72 pins)

Chances are that the memory will be in the form of DIMM's (although I have a friend who screwed him self over with some unknown motherboard that had SIMM's on it). DIMM's are far easyer to find and there prices have fallen soooo much in the last few months.

One way it will be a fairly expensive, the other will be much less, but then again memory prices are resonable again. Good Luck!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Igot1ForYa on 11/16/00 09:42 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

If there are 2 or 4 memory sockets lined up next to each other its probably EDO RAM. If there are white clips on the side of the socket you have to close to hold the DIMM in place its SDRAM.
You can try downloading SANDRA. It tells all kinds of info about your system. You can get it at CNet.com
You could also try this website
http://pbsupport.alorica.com/
but I recommend scraping it or using it as a doorstop.
We have a PB Platinum from 1996 - Pentium 133, 32 MB RAM, 1.2G slow HD. We don't use it much anymore as it is painfully slow - even over our network with a cable modem.
You are better off building a new Duron based system. Last time I looked EDO RAM is more expensive than SDRAM.

G

I worked on a packard bell once --- you first suggestion was the best. Scrap it!

And for the rest of you Pakard bell people -- sorry! But scrap yours to.

Take care.