RAMBUS for Dell 8200

Hi
I have a Dell 8200
Wanted to upgrade 512 MB RAM to 1012 MB for graphic application work.
Costs a fortune over here in the Antipodes - NZ$600 minimum
Can I match my 512 with a 256 MB more affordable module ?
What additional info do I need to ensure I get what I need ?
Grateful for all and any advice.
Thanks
Bob

"Bob Eason" <bobeason@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> Hi
> I have a Dell 8200
> Wanted to upgrade 512 MB RAM to 1012 MB for graphic application work.
> Costs a fortune over here in the Antipodes - NZ$600 minimum
> Can I match my 512 with a 256 MB more affordable module ?
> What additional info do I need to ensure I get what I need ?
> Grateful for all and any advice.
> Thanks
> Bob

I'm not familiar with the 8200 specifically, but from what I know about
Rambus:

Rambus must be installed in matching pairs. If one module is 512 MB, it's
counterpart must be 512MB or a "dummy" module.

The main thing to know is whether it's RamBus-600 or Rambus-800 and ECC or
non-ECC, beyond that it's all the same regardless of label. (All the Rambus
sticks I've ever seen appear to have been made by either Samsung or Intel
anyway, regardless of whether the label say Dell or IBM or whatever)

- FM -

Bob, This is the link I bought my RDRAM 2 yrs ago, for about $200 USD,
which is still working and has been problem-free. Just fill in Model
Number, CPU speed. You need to know if you have 400mhz or 533 mhz bus
memory. You have to add memory in matched pairs.

http://memorysuppliers.cnetchannel.com/index.asp?classid=100&mfrid=31

bigsley

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 18:38:44 +1300, "Bob Eason" <bobeason@ihug.co.nz>
wrote:

>Hi
>I have a Dell 8200
>Wanted to upgrade 512 MB RAM to 1012 MB for graphic application work.
>Costs a fortune over here in the Antipodes - NZ$600 minimum
>Can I match my 512 with a 256 MB more affordable module ?
>What additional info do I need to ensure I get what I need ?
>Grateful for all and any advice.
>Thanks
>Bob

First, the most frequent "rules" for RAMBUS in Pentium 4 systems are:
1. RAMBUS must installed in exact matched pairs. (There are some deviations
from exact, but this is close enough.)
2. Any RAMBUS memory socket not filled with a memory module MUST have a
continuity module installed.

So... You can install either a matched pair + 2 continuity modules or two
matched pairs.

The Dell 8200 either uses PC800 or PC1066 RAMBUS memory. Check the specs on the
Dell web site using the Dell serial number found on the back of the case. Then,
buy memory with the same speed grade, neither slower nor faster. If the system
now has non-ECC memory (most likely), get more non-ECC. Otherwise buy ECC.

Samsung, NEC, and Infineon (Siemens) are/were the major manufacturers of RAMBUS
memory, with a few Toshiba modules thrown in. Samsung has manufactured most of
the RAMBUS memory, or maybe that's mostly what I see when I see RAMBUS memory.
IBM, Dell, HP, Compaq and any other name-brand companies using RAMBUS in their
computers will place stickers on the memory sticks to lead one to believe that
their brand of memory is "special". Horsefeathers! It's all from the same few
manufacturers, with no difference between generic and name-brand stickered
memory except the sticker and the "sticker price". So they stick you when you
buy their so-called brand of memory... Ben Myers

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 06:21:53 GMT, "Fred Mau" <fred-dot-mau@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Bob Eason" <bobeason@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
>> Hi
>> I have a Dell 8200
>> Wanted to upgrade 512 MB RAM to 1012 MB for graphic application work.
>> Costs a fortune over here in the Antipodes - NZ$600 minimum
>> Can I match my 512 with a 256 MB more affordable module ?
>> What additional info do I need to ensure I get what I need ?
>> Grateful for all and any advice.
>> Thanks
>> Bob
>
>I'm not familiar with the 8200 specifically, but from what I know about
>Rambus:
>
>Rambus must be installed in matching pairs. If one module is 512 MB, it's
>counterpart must be 512MB or a "dummy" module.
>
>The main thing to know is whether it's RamBus-600 or Rambus-800 and ECC or
>non-ECC, beyond that it's all the same regardless of label. (All the Rambus
>sticks I've ever seen appear to have been made by either Samsung or Intel
>anyway, regardless of whether the label say Dell or IBM or whatever)
>

> - FM -

In 1988 or so, I went from 2 meg 386sx to 4 meg sx. The cost? $500!!!

--
David Nimon
dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca

--------------------------------
"Shawn Winget" <shawnwinget@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <grin> I upgraded my first PC (a packard bell 486 sx-25) from 4MB to 8MB
> in '92 or '93. Cost me $200 at Costco for four 1MB simms. $50 a megabyte,
> ouch!

In 1994, I added 4 4MB 30pin SIMMS at $100 each!!

Steve W. wrote:
>> Bob,
>> Take a look at
>> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductList.jsp?ThirdCategoryCode=011107
>> These guys are great to deal with and it looks like a pair of 512 meg
>> boards would run
>> about 500.00 US. That is for Samsung which should be the same as
>> what
>> the machine came with.
>>
>> They ship to Canada and the US only though.
>> You could have them shipped to someone in the US who would forward
>> them
>> to you.
>>
>> --
>> Steve

ZipZoom has the least expensive price for Samsung memory that I had seen
when I researched additional memory for my 8200. Too bad they are not an
option.

Once you know enough about the marking on Samsung memory you may be able to
beat ZipZoom pricing by bidding on eBay. I am very satisfied with the deal
I made. You certainly take a chance with eBay but if you screen the
prospective seller you most often do OK.

If eBay is an option for you it's a good choice. Consider that PC800 Rambus
memory will likely be of no value to you once you decide to replace your
computer. You don't want to spend a lot of money on "outdated" Ram.

TRENDING THREADS