Rambus Making Mobile Memory More Efficient

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronRyan21

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
It seems Rambus will never die. Nothing can destroy it..........Its immune to lawsuits, competition, outdated technology.........

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
So now Rambus is creating stuff? Nice to see that.
All I can remember from Rambus was them suing every memory maker on the market.

It's good news that they started producing/creating new things instead of new lawsuits. ;)

G

This ought to be really interesting! :)

Wonder when they'll start manufacturing PC memory for consumers, what form it'll take and how many Gigs there'll be per stick?

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Is everyone forgetting how good RDRAM was, when Intel used it properly?

The lawsuits get tiring, for sure, although I can hardly blame them since they make money from them, and get others to sign licensing agreements, but to comment negatively on Rambus' technology is ill-informed. They have come out with some interesting stuff, and useful products, and still do. There was a time when getting a Pentium 4 without RDRAM was accepting a big loss in performance, compared to DDR. Intel created the i850 and never did anything with it, but it was still the fastest chipset for the Pentium 4 for a long time, despite newer ones from competitors and Intel.

Even for the Pentium III, with the very limited FSB, the i840 was the fastest chipset in dual-processor configurations, by a lot. In single processor setups, the overclocked 440BX could beat it in some. RDRAM wasn't a bad technology, it was just Intel used it too soon (prices were astronomical) and for a processor that couldn't hope to use the bandwidth, and it still performed pretty well.

Don't forget, XDR is used in the PS3, the best selling console in September (I never thought I'd be able to say that :p ).

Rambus is viewed negatively, and some of it is justified, but it's gotten so extreme it's become exaggerated and uninformed.

NoCaDrummer

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I wouldn't buy a PC with it, after the skanky way they get other manufacturers to sign on to a "standard" that they just happen to own the patents on. It may be good for their business (money-wise) but it's a lousy way to gain trust. To paraphrase a former First Lady, "Just say 'No' to Rambus!"

bryce55

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
Use more gold and less copper/aluminum,, oh shit nvm I mean use more aluminum the more resistance the less current :D

lashabane

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Today Rambus announced that it has evolved the technology further in its second generation silicon, which brings its high-bandwidth mobile memory controller to an achievable power efficiency of 2.2mW/Gbps.

This is nearly a one third improvement over the initial MMI silicon that ran at 2.3mW/Gbps

Isn't 1/3rd of 2.2 somewhere around 1.46?

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Ahhh... sometimes, the best innovations are just realizing the fuckups in your last design.

Such as Intel Atom computers. The chipset itself uses a ridiculous amount of electricity, negating the insanely efficient processor...

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
If they used gold, I would pull out my smelting equipment considering how much the price of gold is skyrocketing.

RDRam had a bottle-neck that became apparent when comparing an AMD processor and an Intel Processor at the time. It was also extremely expensive, and still is. The Rambus, Intel partnership probably had to do more with the shady business practices both manufacturers used.

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
[citation][nom]lashabane[/nom]Isn't 1/3rd of 2.2 somewhere around 1.46?[/citation]I'm pretty sure it was supposed to say 2.2 is 1/3 less than 3.3.

Status
Not open for further replies.