Rambus stinks

G

Rambus is still overpriced too. I'm ordering from crucial for Christmas - 128MB PC133 CAS2 is under $100. (no I don't work for Crucial but I've heard good things about them and Sharky at sharkyextreme.com recommends them.)

G

If you are fond of Intel you might ought to get used to rambus, because new chips and chipsets will probably strictly be using it unless somehow Intel figures out how to get out of there contract with Rambus Inc. And the concern about the price...go check out pricewatch and see how low the prices are for RDRAM.

G

Hey,

Im sorry guys I think you all wrong. I mean just becasue you have to take out a loan to buy their ram, and just beacue it doesn't actually run that much faster than PC-133, and just because Rambus is trying to screw the memory industry to hell, and just because You can only get expensive Rambus on new Intels..... Oh heck Rambus blows

L8tr all ;)

Timothy Stankus
One of the First AMD Athlon Users =)

Magus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Poor Rambus, hehe. If Intel keeps trying to push this stuff on it's future P4 users, AMD is going to blow them out of the water.

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AMD has already blown Intel out of the water, imo. Like Tom said, anyone who buys an Intel processor for much more money than an AMD processor for comparable performance is, ahem, stupid. It's only a matter of time before the common computer user (who doesn't really know much about hardware) will realize that their money is better spent on an AMD product. :)

G

Had a friend who spent a a butt load on 384 MB of RDRAM for his new computer. Poor lost fellow. He still tries to convince me that the performance was well woth the cost-----umm, no

Dai

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm certainly no fan of Rambus but until AMD can crack the business sector, and hopefully once there is an SMP soultion available this will be an ongoing proposition, Intel will still rule the roost.

One thing that makes me curious is why broker analysts still make out Rambus to be a strong buy when their flagship memory design has proved not to be all it was cracked up to be? Is it because they really do have patents on DDR SDRAM and will therefore cream it in there?

There is a massive amount of inertia in the corporate IT business and I'm of an age where I can still remember the old adage of "You don't get fired for buying IBM". AMD will have to remain ahead of the curve for quite a while before before you can write off the Intel/Rambus consortium, even if Intel do appear to be stepping back from their partnership

Dai

G

Hehe, can't you guys see what the Intel is doing with
the first P4, they are overpriced and bulky and badly
adverticed and all. Then they will bring new platform
and new version supporting DDR, just half a year later.

And now they have allso said bad words about rambus.
Hehe.. they seem to WANT that to fail at the begining,
to get rid of RAMBUS once and for all.

Lets see what happens.. i haven't heard about anybody
wanting to buy P4, yet.

balrog

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was checkin out one of those really KEWL Rambus Motherboards It was 400$ so if you add ram your lookin about 600$ or more. Boy I think I feel extra rich today err ehh I mean I can't have a surplus with all the bills.

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
At the risk of becomming unpopular- Don't get me wrong here, I'm probobly the only person on here who sends Rambus hate mail once a week, even though they never reply, however, to say rambus is a dinosaur is just not true. The technology itself has promise in theory. As Tom said, it may be the memory of the future, but it is not the memory of today- today ddr is what's worth while. But assume rambus was not a litigious company who's product was priced competitively with sdram and they were able to bring their yeilds up, then rdram would be a decent competitive option against pre ddr ram and pre faster sdram boards. Like any new technology it starts out ok, but gets much better. Every new chip technology (athlon 500) starts low and gets better (athlon 1200+). Rambus may be the enemy of all I hold dear, but rdram technology is not without its inventive merit, and is certainly not a dinosaur. If it doesn't dissapear (which I hope it does) it will only get better.

G

RAMBUS has its place. At least Sony seems to think so. It's place is just not on MY desktop. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what happens between RAMBUS and MICRON. It could mean the death of one of them.

agriffin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Like most people that read these boards, I've read most of the article and have seen all the benchmarks that address Rambus and their Intel counterparts. I think the whole idea of the Ram isn't all that bad, it's the way RAmbus as a company is behaving that sends ripples through the whole hardware world. Ultimately that will be the end of them. Intel is a strong friend to have, but even Intel is breaking their corporate ties with Rambus. Once Rambus looses Intel they're pretty much done for. Maybe we'll get lucky and Crucial will soak them up and actually try to do something with the technology.

I'm not super tech guru. But I understand bandwidths and the like. I guess I just don't understand why they are running an almost arcaic 16bit bus?! 1/4 of SDRAM's!! I'm not sure if they just can't handle the heat that 64bitx800mhz would cause. You'd think there would be ways to address that issue. Does the etching technology in RAM work the same way as in processors? For instance, could they lower voltage requirements by lowering the die cut to .18 microns? It works for system processors, why not ram?!

G

16Bit bus, that's because the idea of RAMBUS is not RDRAM, it's the BUS and it's designed for multiprosessor-platforms.
The problem with wide-buses, like we have not with most
sdram-systems is that it takes alot of space from mother-
board and it's really hard to develope multiprosessor-MPs
cause of that. RAMBUS solves the problem with having
narrow bus, but higher clockspeed.
That's still ok and it's a good sollution if multible
BUSes are needed. I doesn't affect the latency either,
cause it's running same bandwidth as the wider bus, it's
supposed to replace. Then it all cames to RAMBUS and
what is their sollution how to use it.

G

OK, I'm waiting to get my hands on P4. On my company's expense, at least for now :)

You know, all this PIII / Athlon talk is missing the fact that from compiler's point of view it's all PentiumPro stuff.

In other words, I'm using /G6 optimization in MSVC for the last 5 years. I'm bored.

Enter P4: it will be (finally!) something with new
architecture enough to have a new /G7 switch. I know, I've tried beta version of Intel C/C++ compiler, V5.0.

In essense: I'm not looking for a higher performance of already-compiled software, but for a good kick on my server thing when I will recompile it with /G7 :)

And yes, someone promised my company to deliver SMP Ithanium system in the nearest future.
Very likely I will play with it as well.

Most of my friends (programmers) who built home computers recently used dual-Celeron way to do it, as single-CPU box is a bore oldy-moldy news, and only a craze will pay for a dual-PIII box.

In essence: Only after at least dual-CPU Athlons will hit the street, I will consider them as an option for me.

Till then - sorry, folks, no Athlons, please.

I'm a software engineer, and many things may be observed only on SMP computers. Unfortunately, there is not that much choice here - x86-wise.

Intel sucks, there is no doubt. To disable half of a cache in Celerons.. to lock it to the same freq - 66MHz bus Pentium Classic had some 7?! years ago - it's really, really sucks. Their prices are sky-high.

Let's see those shiny dual-Athlons of the future :)