Rambus Under Fire in Patent Battle With Nvidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
This is like putting a goldfish in with a piranha. NVIDIA might win against lightweights like Intel, but whatever momentary successes they might have, they're going up against the God of Litigation.

"Getting thrown under the Rambus" will no doubt become the new catch phrase for a company getting sued for something they thought was an open standard, with little chance of avoiding a miserable defeat.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Rambus is the Apple of memory chips.
I remember over decade ago nobody cared about them (or there overpriced memory) so they started suing everyone.

Apparently that's all they still do.

CPU666d1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Well it looks like nvidea has Judge O'Malley on their side as far as the missing documents are concerned & now rambus is getting scared obviously, because it will cost them more money if they should appeal and if they lose that appeal it will cost them even more.

valu3hunt3r

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Cazalan[/nom]I like how on the Rambus Wiki page it has a "See Also: PATENT TROLL".[/citation]

The de facto two word summary of RAMBUS.

G

nvidia has plenty of experience with fire, Rambus is in trouble.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]1-2% or lord, no![/citation]
That 1 or 2% adds up fast when it gets marked up by every middle man between Nvidia and you, and believe me, Nvidia isnt the one footing the bill.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]This is like putting a goldfish in with a piranha. NVIDIA might win against lightweights like Intel, but whatever momentary successes they might have, they're going up against the God of Litigation. "Getting thrown under the Rambus" will no doubt become the new catch phrase for a company getting sued for something they thought was an open standard, with little chance of avoiding a miserable defeat.[/citation]
"Getting thrown under the RAMBUS"
Best comment eva!!

The credibility of Rambus should have been shattered to pieces during the early 2000's. They've repeatedly proven themselves to be nothing but trolls. I'm simply surprised Rambus isn't ordered to pay NVidia instead.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]This is like putting a goldfish in with a piranha. NVIDIA might win against lightweights like Intel, but whatever momentary successes they might have, they're going up against the God of Litigation. "Getting thrown under the Rambus" will no doubt become the new catch phrase for a company getting sued for something they thought was an open standard, with little chance of avoiding a miserable defeat.[/citation]

LOLWUT? Intel is lightweight?

That said, I'm off to Wikipedia - I have no idea what Rambus is :lol:

cwolf78

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Rambus is simply patent troll company now they don't even put out a product.[/citation]

Not defending Rambus here in any way (I still remember the early P4 days vividly - and not in a good way), but just want to point out that the PS3 contains Rambus XDR RAM and the top tier models of the new Radeon HD 7000 series will be using Rambus XDR2.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Rambus didn't even invent SDRAM and its later variants. It was probably cheaper for memory makers to pay royalties they didn't owe than to pay for continued litigation.

leper84

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
From wiki-

"In January 2005, Rambus filed four more lawsuits against memory chip makers Hynix Semiconductor, Nanya Technology, Inotera Memories and Infineon Technology claiming that DDR 2, GDDR 2 and GDDR 3 chips contain Rambus technology. In March 2005, Rambus had its claim for patent infringements against Infineon dismissed. Rambus was accused of shredding key documents prior to court hearings, the judge agreed and dismissed Rambus' case against Infineon."

and another-

"On January 9, 2009, a Delaware federal judge ruled that Rambus could not enforce patents against Micron Technology Inc., stating that Rambus had a "clear and convincing" show of bad faith, and ruled that Rambus' destruction of key related documents (spoliation of evidence) nullified its right to enforce its patents against Micron. [10]"

So I guess Rambus has a thing for shredding documents. Are these two and Nvidia's case related or does Rambus stand on such shaky ground they've seriously done this three times in a row?

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]Rambus is the Apple of memory chips.I remember over decade ago nobody cared about them (or there overpriced memory) so they started suing everyone.Apparently that's all they still do.[/citation]
Whats more, the weak-willed idiots they sued PAYED UP, paving the legal precedent to force everyone else to pay also.

Status
Not open for further replies.