RAMCloud: The Idea of Storing All Data in RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
No really? This can be done for a consumer, as well. Imagine having your entire OS in the RAM? An X79 board has what, 8 RAM slots? Throw 8GB into each one and you get 64GB, that's more than enough for a full Windows installation and some programs. It will be blazing fast.

ltdementhial

Aug 20, 2011
i really don't see an use for this type of things...although it will be nice if you are a Minecraft maniac...but in real life task even more than 8gb for now is very unnecessary and stupidly excessive.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]ltdementhial[/nom]i really don't see an use for this type of things...although it will be nice if you are a Minecraft maniac...but in real life task even more than 8gb for now is very unnecessary and stupidly excessive.[/citation]

Prices keep going down. RAM is dirt cheap; 8GB costs $50 (2x4GB), the new 8GB chips are costly but prices WILL fall, and having your stuff in the RAM is awesome. And for servers, it's even better. Did you read this:

The researchers estimate that a single multi-core RAM server could support at least 1,000,000 small requests per second, while disk based systems are typically maxed out at 1000 to 10,000 requests.

That is, bye-bye to DDOS.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]Sounds awesome - until the power goes out.;([/citation]

UPS for you :D Mine can keep my gaming rig, my lights, fans (no, not the case cooling, big ceiling fans) and so on running for 2 days straight.

[citation][nom]blood_dew[/nom]And how are you planning to get around the volatility problem on your home rig sir amk-aka-Phantom?[/citation]

Elaborate, please!

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
[citation][nom]ltdementhial[/nom]i really don't see an use for this type of things...although it will be nice if you are a Minecraft maniac...but in real life task even more than 8gb for now is very unnecessary and stupidly excessive.[/citation]
more than 8GB is recommended if you do some CS5.5 or 3D uses... 8GB is need for gaming system... Your all about the games instead of what's out there in the internet that you needa experience...

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]blood_dew[/nom]And how are you planning to get around the volatility problem on your home rig sir amk-aka-Pantom?[/citation]
There is non-volatile ram in development. Not sure if it will ever become a real product, but it's there.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Haserath[/nom]There is non-volatile ram in development. Not sure if it will ever become a real product, but it's there.[/citation]
I thought SSDs use non-volatile NAND RAM? or is that NAND flash? :\

Why do they call it a "could" system? Isn't this just a ram-based server? Cloud is like, for storing data and things right? "Run your shitz of the cloud". I can't see the point of it for cloud storage, would be too expensive. What's the point of the super-low latency if your ping to the RamCloud will be 200ms? A movie streams a ms late, big deal...

If it's used for regular server hosting (like game servers, etc) then i can see the point, because computation time would reduce.

drinking12many

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
[citation][nom]LegendKiller[/nom]more than 8GB is recommended if you do some CS5.5 or 3D uses... 8GB is need for gaming system... Your all about the games instead of what's out there in the internet that you needa experience...[/citation]

Also nice if you have a couple VMs running. My board is maxed out at 16.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
BTW does anyone else notice a CPU usage spike when you scroll from the article to the comments? Happens somewhere at the end of the article...been noticing this for a while.

Use chrome, 32-bit, 3.2GB RAM and a Core 2 Quad. Tried on a C2D laptop and happens there too, had used chrome again.

EDIT: Just tried with IE, spike happens but you cant notice it. Chrome actually stutters a bit...

yeah if you are the ONLY one using it then the timing difference is almost nothing compared to the ping, but if you have hundreds of thousands of users accessing the data HDD's and even SSD's wouldn't be able to keep up, that is where the Ram Cloud would come in

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

About 29GB. My current OS/programs partition takes 35GB. U mad?

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]mindless728[/nom]yeah if you are the ONLY one using it then the timing difference is almost nothing compared to the ping, but if you have hundreds of thousands of users accessing the data HDD's and even SSD's wouldn't be able to keep up, that is where the Ram Cloud would come in[/citation]
Ah...didn't think of that!

G

It's called a RAM-drive, and this is nothing new. You can do this on any desktop machine if you want, it's just usually not worth it due to power interruptions. Still fun nonetheless.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Not sure if the researchers have taken into consideration the added cost from having to use only buffered ECC RAM. The unbuffered non-ECC RAM some of the commenters here are referring to is considered volatile for more than just what happens when the power turns off. After some time the data stored in this RAM becomes corrupted and would no longer be the same data. Ever wonder why some programs after being open and running for several days can sometimes start to act funny after a while?

For the past 20 years or so OS's have used redundancy to help with this issue via the swap file on the HDD. Using buffered ECC RAM can eliminate about 99% of this problem, but can cost 2-3 times as much in some cases. Although, I suppose you could offset the cost by using twice as much "regular" RAM and using half for redundancy. Still, the best option would be to store the data on a typical storage device and have a newer better buffering system which keeps and accurate and updated copy in the RAM "cloud" which could keep the data integrity in check. This way there would only be the older latency issue initially when the data is being uploaded or altered, or when it needs to be rebuffered because of corruption. Plus that thing about the power going out would be a non issue.

G

This makes zero sense for a home user. But makes a lot of sense in some situations. Master server that writes results to disk, with many slaves that only have ram for instance.

I can see this ram cloud service now . "Tech support: how can i help you", "you: all my files are missing", "tech: ya we had a power failure, sorry everything is stored in ram, all data is gone", "you: excuse me?"

G

If you went for a massive RAM drive like this why wouldn't you couple it with tiers of other storrage? SSD's and a large pool of harddrives? I don't know the optimal combination, having some parts work as cache for others.

caparc

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
My second computer was a Leading Edge 286 with a VGA color monitor, about $2 grand. I don't remember the specs except for the gigantic 65MB HD. My impossible dream was having a 640MB HD and a 640MB ram drive and leave the machine turned on all the time and keep the hard drive mirrored on the Ram drive. I still miss the Leading Edge clicker keyboard.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
You don't even understand what this article is about and I don't care to enlighten you, just one clue it's not about consumer level use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS