Question RAMcommendation (I'll see myself out)

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I've got 16 GB (Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) and it's time to upgrade that to 32.

I read the other comments talking about how it's best to get a set all at the same time, unfortunately. It would be fantastic if I could just get a second kit for the empty slots but seems like that's not recommended (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0143UM4TC/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1). It's only 39.99.

How bad would it *ACTUALLY* be to just buy the same exact kit and install it in the other two empty slots?

MOBO: Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0)

And since I guess I should probably follow the advice, what would a good 32 gig kit be?

Just basically keep it the same and step up in capacity with this: https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Veng...fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc&th=1

I don't want any RGB, don't want to overclock, anything like that. Just want some extra capacity at a good price. Thanks.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Where it is recommended to get a match kit, given that this is a refresh "+" (lots of +) Intel, and how common that RAM is, I would probably try to buy the 'same timing/model' kit first.

Before you install go into BIOS and turn off XMP if being used, and OC if you have one. Install the new kit, let it learn in, see if it will boot, then go back and turn back on your OC/XMP. Keep in mind that some motherboards will not work on rated XMP when using (4) sticks over (2) so you may have to run them slightly slower.

If this was AMD I would suggest not doing it, but Intel is pretty forgiving on this aspect, at least on much of the older hardware. At least, that has been my experience. If it doesn't work, Amazon is pretty good about returns, just be sure to put the correct units back in for the return. (in reality and based on second-hand accounts, that may not matter either, lol)

TRENDING THREADS