RAMPAGE 3 GENE No POST and 980X single core

doncarriere

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
I noticed yesterday on my 64 bit WIN7 desktop gadgets monitoring the CPU, cores and memory that the system only saw 2GB of usable RAM. Everything else was fine, all 12 cores online. For the whole week since my rebuilt I have been playing Battlefield2 brillantly. So I rebooted and my 6GB RAM was back but then I noticed only half my cores? THen I shut down and unplugged for a minute and reboote. I noticed that my POST was gone, it just booted right into WIN7, blazingly fast but the problem I have now is that I am working on one core. No hyperthread nothing. I have reset my BIOS and rebooted several times, my CPU is running at a cool 25 Degrees and all the apps run just fine. So in conclusion when I boot I see the ROG screen flash for a split second then its the WIN7 logo and then my desktop, no more POST? What would happen if I hit the CMOS clear button in the back? I am sure my CPU is fine otherwise it would not work at all?
Oh yes one more thing, I did have an initial problem with the rear panel USB ports and did a work around by buyig a USB ISA card and used that instead, is it my MOBO? Is there anything else I can do to check things or reset?

Solution
Reset the BIOS, first. I would suggest you use the "remove the battery" method. First, disconnect all power sources (power cable and monitor). Then remove the battery from the motherboard. Press the power button to discharge any residual power in the system. Wait at least 30 seconds. Reinstall the battery and reattach power and video. Power up the system, go into BIOS and make sure you enable/disable features as desired. I would suggest no OCing until you have a stable system.

While you have the battery removed. Double check that all of your RAM is firmly seated in their slots.

Report back if this doesn't do the trick. Good luck!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Reset the BIOS, first. I would suggest you use the "remove the battery" method. First, disconnect all power sources (power cable and monitor). Then remove the battery from the motherboard. Press the power button to discharge any residual power in the system. Wait at least 30 seconds. Reinstall the battery and reattach power and video. Power up the system, go into BIOS and make sure you enable/disable features as desired. I would suggest no OCing until you have a stable system.

While you have the battery removed. Double check that all of your RAM is firmly seated in their slots.

Report back if this doesn't do the trick. Good luck!

Solution

doncarriere

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
I think you ight be on the right track. I updated the BIOS to 501 and still the same thing. I then tried to push the CMOS reset in the back of the MOBO and guess what? my POST returned but since I have my drives running in AHCI mode it failed to boot. No problem I said so went back into the BIOS and re-adjusted everything and guess what? same problem on boot, NO POST and oly one core but I feel like I am making progress. I will try your suggestion now and let you know. It is defenitively CMOS related.

doncarriere

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Well problem solved. user problem, how embarassing. After trying all you suggested I noticed the WIN7 device manager saw all 12 cores but was not using it. I then when to MSCONFIG and ADVANCED to see that I had ticked 1 CPU. I un-ticked it, rebooted and all is fine now. Part 2: The reason I got no post it seems that the BIOS is set to show the ROG logo or BIOS and I had it set to show the ROG logo. Someone from ASUS told me that. Case now closed.