Rampage Formula + 8gig Crucial Ballistix question...

Jerg

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2007
Hi, i'm wondering why my motherboard set my memory to 5-5-5-15 timing when it is in fact 4-4-4-12. I'm using 2x4gig kit of Crucial Ballistix (specs below). Everything is set on auto in the bios. Does it mean I should set my timing manually ? And by doing so, is there anything I should check to make sure I dont mess with something else ?

Thanks !

http://crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=892B4A14A5CA7304

Module Size: 4GB kit (2GBx2)
Package: Ballistix 240-pin DIMM
Feature: DDR2 PC2-6400
Specs: DDR2 PC2-6400 • 4-4-4-12 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-800 • 2.2V • 256Meg x 64

EDIT: I think I found an answer here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249130-30-latency, anything else ?

Jerg

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2007
Does it mean I have to increase voltage too ? My ram is rated 2.2V is it a maximum or a specified voltage for normal use.

halcyon

Splendid
Personally, I'd set it at the lowest voltage that its stable at the speed you want. I wouldn't increase the voltage unless it proves necessary. You can try its maximum stated voltage and if that's stable start backing it down until its no longer stable under load? I'm no expert, but that's what I'd do.

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
It's not uncommon for the SPD to be set a little looser than the fastest timing capable. This ensures maximum compatibility with various motherboard makers. Some makers like Corsair used to advertise that their SPDs were set to the correct timings so didn't have to do it manually. It's not a big deal though, just go into your bios and change it manually.

You won't usually have to adjust your voltage unless your having stability issues or overclocking. Just leave the voltage set at whatever it is now and tighten up the timings. If it is unstable then up the voltage a little.

Jerg

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2007
Looks like it worked perfectly without ajusting the voltage. Although I've noticed that my ram has a 5/6 ratio and is working at 2T. Does it hurts performance a lot ?

TRENDING THREADS