Question RAM's always ~50%, barely anything open

Solosis

Commendable
Feb 16, 2019
Hey,

I currently have 8 GB and my computer started to lag a lot. It'd take ages to open any browser. I noticed my RAM was never cleared up. If I were to open 3 applications and close them afterwards, my RAM would never decrease, even if I opened 10, if possible, my RAM would literally not go down.

I installed a program named Wise Memory Optimizer which has helped me with this, but now I notice my RAM never goes below 50, even if I have nothing open.
Below are some screenshots, but feel free to ask more questions. I'd love to get rid of this issue, as it seems like this also causes my computer's performance to go down as soon as I open up anything.

Nothing's running in the background. What I already tried is: Disabling most, if not all scheduled tasks I could find on guides via other sites and run a full scan (all drives, no exceptions) using Malware Bytes and CCleaner where not much came out of.

CPU: Intel i5 6402P - 2.80GHz (~30c)
Motherboard: Medion H110H4-EM (U4E1, ~34c)
RAM: 8GB 1063MHz
SSD/HDD: HDD
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti (~42c)
PSU: I'm unsure
Chassis: I'm unsure of the name, but I found an image of the one I have
BIOS: American Megatrends 110EMWOX.105

Thanks in advance,
Solosis

33MjtoQ.png

0QVkXBN.png

i6XX3KP.png

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Have you made sure you're on the latest BIOS update? Which version of the OS are you on?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

Also might need to look into making sure bios is updated to current and also any and all motherboard chipset drivers.

Solosis

Commendable
Feb 16, 2019

Also might need to look into making sure bios is updated to current and also any and all motherboard chipset drivers.
I updated it in January, I assume it's updated. I'll double-check it in a few hours

Solosis

Commendable
Feb 16, 2019
This was 1 of the links I already went through. Thanks however

I would run MemTest86 to check for RAM errors. You'll want a USB drive for that utility, though.
I did it!

YRo9oCq.jpg

Ok9Nikw.jpg

mlQ7akU.jpg

And a random picture I took during the benchmark may it somehow contain information you'd like as well
20190522_152548.jpg

Reactions: davew1860

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If you're not running out of RAM then if don't know if RAM would be your problem.

Using ~4 GB at idle isn't too unreasonable. I checked on my PC and I'm using like 3.5 GB with nothing open (and you have Discord using up an extra few hundred MB). Could try looking at the Startup tab in task manager to see what applications are all automatically launching at startup.

Do you ever see disk usage getting near 100%? How full is your drive?

Reactions: davew1860

Solosis

Commendable
Feb 16, 2019
Could try looking at the Startup tab in task manager to see what applications are all automatically launching at startup.
I tried. Even when I disabled all of them, it still happened
Do you ever see disk usage getting near 100%? How full is your drive?
Never

PJVCWd8.png

Using ~4 GB at idle isn't too unreasonable. I checked on my PC and I'm using like 3.5 GB with nothing open
How much RAM do you have?