Question RAM's always ~50%, barely anything open

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Solosis

Commendable
Feb 16, 2019
Hey,

I currently have 8 GB and my computer started to lag a lot. It'd take ages to open any browser. I noticed my RAM was never cleared up. If I were to open 3 applications and close them afterwards, my RAM would never decrease, even if I opened 10, if possible, my RAM would literally not go down.

I installed a program named Wise Memory Optimizer which has helped me with this, but now I notice my RAM never goes below 50, even if I have nothing open.
Below are some screenshots, but feel free to ask more questions. I'd love to get rid of this issue, as it seems like this also causes my computer's performance to go down as soon as I open up anything.

Nothing's running in the background. What I already tried is: Disabling most, if not all scheduled tasks I could find on guides via other sites and run a full scan (all drives, no exceptions) using Malware Bytes and CCleaner where not much came out of.

CPU: Intel i5 6402P - 2.80GHz (~30c)
Motherboard: Medion H110H4-EM (U4E1, ~34c)
RAM: 8GB 1063MHz
SSD/HDD: HDD
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti (~42c)
PSU: I'm unsure
Chassis: I'm unsure of the name, but I found an image of the one I have
BIOS: American Megatrends 110EMWOX.105

Thanks in advance,
Solosis

33MjtoQ.png

0QVkXBN.png

i6XX3KP.png

Last edited:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry, I'm out of ideas then. If a clean install didn't fix it and you're not overheating, I really don't know. All I can suggest is to try and think of anything that might have changed back when you first noticed the issue. E.g. you updated a driver or something.

Solosis

Commendable
Feb 16, 2019
Sorry, I'm out of ideas then. If a clean install didn't fix it and you're not overheating, I really don't know. All I can suggest is to try and think of anything that might have changed back when you first noticed the issue. E.g. you updated a driver or something.
As strange as this sounds, but this happened around the time I got a new RAM stick. It's compatible and worked perfectly fine but the ram slot became faulty after a few months, that's when my computer started performing a bit worse as well. I don't know what caused it, but both RAM sticks still work, I just simply have 1 stored away for the time being. Is this information useful in any way?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, I would have thought if there was a RAM issue it would have shown up when you ran Memtest. Could you run CPU-Z and post a screenshot of the SPD and Memory tabs?

When you say the memory slot became faulty, how did you determine that? Or are you just speculating that the source of your issues may be that the a RAM slot may be faulty?

Solosis

Commendable
Feb 16, 2019
When you say the memory slot became faulty, how did you determine that? Or are you just speculating that the source of your issues may be that the a RAM slot may be faulty?
I heard 3 short beeps when I tried to restart my pc at some point: "Memory failure in the first 64 KB of RAM: Likely a bad RAM IC"
I tried swapping and switching and trying whatever I could, and it really ended up being that one fault slot

I'll run a CPU-Z test and post results

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
What was your previous memory configuration before you added the new RAM stick?

Running in single channel is suboptimal, I thick it could maybe it could cause the PC to feel a bit slower/laggier. But if you only had one stick in there previous to the upgrade and everything ran fine then that wouldn't explain it.

Solosis

Commendable
Feb 16, 2019
What was your previous memory configuration before you added the new RAM stick?
I don't think I changed anything regarding the RAM configurations
Running in single channel is suboptimal, I thick it could maybe it could cause the PC to feel a bit slower/laggier. But if you only had one stick in there previous to the upgrade and everything ran fine then that wouldn't explain it.
It really was fine even before I had another RAM stick

Solosis

Commendable
Feb 16, 2019
@SgtScream @TJ Hooker

Does the ram utilization persist after booting your computer into safe mode?
I also only just realized you were talking about CPU-Z's info

Trying to open CPU-Z:
Code:
[bInitDriver] path = C:\Windows\temp
[bInitDriver] GetCurrentDirectory = Z:\Program Files\CPU-Z
[bInitDriver] GetModuleFileName = Z:\Program Files\CPU-Z\cpuz.exe
[vGetOSVersion] m_iOSVersion = 2 (10.0), SHA2 = 1
[vGetOSVersion] IsAMD64=0, IsIA64=0, IsAlpha=0, SHA2=1
[bInitDriver] Extract dir = C:\Windows\temp\cpuz148\
[bInitDriver] m_szPath_2=C:\Windows\temp\cpuz148\, m_szFilename=cpuz148_x64.sys
[WinNT_hCreateServiceHandle] CreateFile cpuz148 returned 2 (0x2)
[WinNT_bInstallDriver] szMachineName = THANA
[bDeleteFile] DeleteFile C:\Windows\temp\cpuz148\cpuz148_x64.sys failed (error = 3)
[bDeleteFile] RemoveDirectory C:\Windows\temp\cpuz148\ failed (error = 2)
[dwExtract_SYS] Extract C:\Windows\temp\cpuz148\cpuz148_x64.sys
[WinNT_bCreateService] szDestName = C:\Windows\temp\cpuz148\cpuz148_x64.sys
[WinNT_bStartService] StartService failed, error code = 1084
[bInitDriver] bInitDriver returned 1084
[WinNT_dwStopService] OpenService failed, errorcode = 1060
[WinNT_dwDeleteService] Openservice failed, errorcode = 1060
[bDeleteFile] DeleteFile C:\Windows\temp\cpuz148\cpuz148_x64.sys succeeded
[bDeleteFile] RemoveDirectory C:\Windows\temp\cpuz148\ succeeded
[vCloseDriver] CloseHandle(mutex) = 1
Both slots show up as empty. Most of the program is empty

The entire report: https://pastebin.com/HZ74MFcE

The next step is to disable non microsoft services, restart your computer and see if the memory issue is still corrected.
Note: After the above, only proceed if the issue is still resolved after disabling non Microsoft services.
If it is, then re-enable each service one at a time until you see the memory problem replicate again. This will help you determine which service is causing the irregular memory utilization.

In the search bar type "msconfig" without quotes, then select the services tab.
Check off the box "Hide all Microsoft services", then select Disable all.
Hit Apply/Ok then click reboot your computer when prompted.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

Solosis

Commendable
Feb 16, 2019
The next step is to disable non microsoft services, restart your computer and see if the memory issue is still corrected.
It seems fine now, but it'll change again in a few hours, like always

If it is, then re-enable each service one at a time until you see the memory problem replicate again. This will help you determine which service is causing the irregular memory utilization.
Honestly, this is the only thing I haven't tried yet

In the search bar type "msconfig" without quotes, then select the services tab.
Check off the box "Hide all Microsoft services", then select Disable all.
Hit Apply/Ok then click reboot your computer when prompted.
Got it, chef

Wouldn't it be funny if the service is Java. Uninstall that first lol.
I hope not lol

Will update you in a minute