Question Rams Sticks Registering in CPU-z and Bios, but Capped in Windows x64

Mar 19, 2020
I know this has been posted in so many different places but I have tried everything to still no avail. Here is a pic of what I am working with. Bios is up to date. Please please please tell me why I can't get Windows to see the other stick of Ram while the others can? Thank you in advance for your time.

Aero_X

Reputable
Jun 12, 2016
Hi,

Type in on the search bar msconfig.exe open it. Once open click on the "boot" tab.
Navigate to the button "Advance options" click on it and new window will open up.

On the new window you will see a check box titled "Max memory" check that box and you will see
you can input a value. It should automatically have a value of 16384 in it, if not input that value.

Click ok, the window will close and the original window will show. Click apply, click ok and restart your computer as prompted.

Aero_X

Reputable
Jun 12, 2016
As soon as I click out it defaults to 8192. Hitting Okay changes it to 0. And opening windows back up after restarting leaves me still with only the 8.
I have done some quick reading on a few different sites and found there seems to be a slight problem on that particular motherboard.

Three suggestions:
- Swop the dimms around and see if that makes any change. (Not likely but worth a try)

- Test the computer with one dimm at time. (This will indicate if the the ram is at fault)

- Lower the ram speed to the default DDR4 speed of 2133mhz with both dimms in and see what result you get.

Your picture shows the part numbers.
Crucial 8GB DDR4-2666 UDIMM CT8G4DFS8266

Memory modules purchased as Single modules have no guarantee to work in any other configuration than as a Single module. You can make any combinations you want, however what is guaranteed is memory in the form sold and not in other combinations you decide to create.

Mar 19, 2020
Your picture shows the part numbers.
Crucial 8GB DDR4-2666 UDIMM CT8G4DFS8266

Memory modules purchased as Single modules have no guarantee to work in any other configuration than as a Single module. You can make any combinations you want, however what is guaranteed is memory in the form sold and not in other combinations you decide to create.
They were purchased as a set on amazon.

Mar 19, 2020
I have done some quick reading on a few different sites and found there seems to be a slight problem on that particular motherboard.

Three suggestions:
- Swop the dimms around and see if that makes any change. (Not likely but worth a try)

- Test the computer with one dimm at time. (This will indicate if the the ram is at fault)

- Lower the ram speed to the default DDR4 speed of 2133mhz with both dimms in and see what result you get.

Think I accomplished it to no avail. Here is what my Bios is now reading but still only seeing 8gb. I’ll reseat the CPU tonight

View: https://imgur.com/a/A56Tgmg

Mar 19, 2020
Good news, bad news! I found an old post that said reflashing older bios could help, and it did! Windows now sees all 16GB. Now my problem is 8 GB of that is hardware reserved and I can't free it up!