[SOLVED] ran into a problem that i believe is psu related

Jun 27, 2021
hi i had purchased a evga 850 gold g3 almost a year ago and it seemed fine to work with my 1070 and older components, recently i have upgraded and got the rest of my hardware to do so, which includes a 3080 and a new ryzen cpu 5800x. after finally getting the parts together and setting everything all up i was able to play for some time, then the problems started. when playing certain games such as league of legends, rainbow six siege, and smite, after some time playing any of these games my pc would restart. now here is the weird thing, i dont get any windows errors and the only thing i get is a kernel error power event 41 in event viewer, which from my research shows that its linked to the psu, which then doesnt make sense as the psu should be more than capable of handling my set up. this is where it comes to another weird part, when playing games it does not occur when in game menus of rainbow 6 and league (only games i have tested so far and recreate the problem consistently). once i join a match in either game after about 6 minutes my pc will do the restart shutting down all apps. then the third weirdest part is that when i play games such as cyberpunk which i thought to be a very heavy game in terms of graphics and such, and i have it all maxed out to really see what will happen, and then nothing, 30 min of gameplay and no restarts, i am extremely stumped on this problem and would appreciate any help you guys can provide. thank you.

Solution
hopefully you downloaded the latest installer and not using the same one you had used previously.
there's always a chance that a certain install package can include corrupt files.

if it's not an issue with Windows and not the PSU
now just need to troubleshoot the GPU, CPU, & RAM.
do you have someone you could swap components with for trial?
also a small chance it's a failing disk but that usually shows more noticeable signs than just a random shutdown or restarting.
now here is the weird thing, i dont get any windows errors
with a power failure there is no time for Windows to collect data and return a specific error.
sometimes the system just goes dead, with no error leading up to it.
would be similar to you cutting the power or holding the power button, no error reports there either.

check the specs of your particular RTX 3080 and see what wattage is recommended.
you can also run a power calculator and determine what the max your system should reach is.

Jun 27, 2021
with a power failure there is no time for Windows to collect data and return a specific error.
sometimes the system just goes dead, with no error leading up to it.
would be similar to you cutting the power or holding the power button, no error reports there either.

check the specs of your particular RTX 3080 and see what wattage is recommended.
you can also run a power calculator and determine what the max your system should reach is.
yes i have done all this before asking here kinda like a last effort before getting a new psu cause i dont have my old one to swap out right now and check if thats it for sure and i double checked to see if the wattage was the recommended amount and it is. i have been using the 3080 with this psu in my old rig for some time only recently when i upgraded the rest of it did these problems start to persist and i just cant seem to make sense to it other than a fault in the psu or maybe something software side that is messing up my pc somehow cause i just played assassins creed odyssey and its fine at max graphics so its something in those other specific games that are triggering the problem for whatever reason.

Cubrix

Commendable
Nov 28, 2019
hi i had purchased a evga 850 gold g3 almost a year ago and it seemed fine to work with my 1070 and older components, recently i have upgraded and got the rest of my hardware to do so, which includes a 3080 and a new ryzen cpu 5800x. after finally getting the parts together and setting everything all up i was able to play for some time, then the problems started. when playing certain games such as league of legends, rainbow six siege, and smite, after some time playing any of these games my pc would restart. now here is the weird thing, i dont get any windows errors and the only thing i get is a kernel error power event 41 in event viewer, which from my research shows that its linked to the psu, which then doesnt make sense as the psu should be more than capable of handling my set up. this is where it comes to another weird part, when playing games it does not occur when in game menus of rainbow 6 and league (only games i have tested so far and recreate the problem consistently). once i join a match in either game after about 6 minutes my pc will do the restart shutting down all apps. then the third weirdest part is that when i play games such as cyberpunk which i thought to be a very heavy game in terms of graphics and such, and i have it all maxed out to really see what will happen, and then nothing, 30 min of gameplay and no restarts, i am extremely stumped on this problem and would appreciate any help you guys can provide. thank you.
Seeing that your PC is restarting it seems software related. Did you do a full new windows install after you received your new parts etc?

Jun 27, 2021
Seeing that your PC is restarting it seems software related. Did you do a full new windows install after you received your new parts etc?
yes i did that for sure really not sure100% that its software related seeing the kernel error that pops up in event viewer gonna see if i can borrow friends psu to swap out adn check if not then will have to re install windows to see if that works jsut hard to do that dont have too much time working a lot lol

Jun 27, 2021
What make and model motherboard, ram and storage?
ok this is the stuff lmk if u want anymore info
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus
OLOY 32GB- 2 16gb - 288 pin DDR4
and lot of storage stuff 2 samsung ssd, 2 HDD, and 1 M.2
-ssd- Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1tb x2
-M.2- Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500gb
-HDD- Toshiba DT01ACA200/WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0

will have to re install windows to see if that works jsut hard to do that dont have too much time
takes less than an hour for the initial install & setup;

Jun 27, 2021
takes less than an hour for the initial install & setup;
yea so took the time and reinstalled windows again as well as replacing the psu with a 1000w one which is overkill just to be sure and still having the problem im extremely stumped here reinstalled all the games as well that were having the problem occur in and it still happens really just frustrated at the fact that i cant fix this

hopefully you downloaded the latest installer and not using the same one you had used previously.
there's always a chance that a certain install package can include corrupt files.

if it's not an issue with Windows and not the PSU
now just need to troubleshoot the GPU, CPU, & RAM.
do you have someone you could swap components with for trial?
also a small chance it's a failing disk but that usually shows more noticeable signs than just a random shutdown or restarting.

Solution