[SOLVED] Ran memtest86 and got errors, bought new ram And still getting errors.

nabbate

Honorable
Mar 1, 2018
I have constant micro stuttering in my games that I play and decided to dig deeper. At the time everything on my pc was brand new so when people told me to run memtest I ignored them because ”there’s no way new memory is already bad”. Well a year later I’ve had enough trying to figure what it was and ran the test a few days ago. It produced 41 errors after 4 passes. Okay great I thought to myself time to replace the ram and get butter smooth performance. Wrong! I got G.Skill Ripjaws V series 16gb (2x8GB) at 3200. I had the same set up before but just at 3000. After I put the new sticks in I ran memtest again and in test 6 I get two errors on pass one.... the test is still running as of this post and will update as needed but I know I should be at 0. With the 3000 speed sticks I got 39 errors in test 7 and 2 in test 5. I need help with what to do next I’m lost cause I don’t want to buy another set of sticks just to have them be bad as well....

Solution
It's late here now so I will try this tomorrow when I first wake up and let it run during work and see if I get a good stick from that. If it's a bad one I'll switch it out with the other stick and run it again. Though this could be a long process because it takes 2:30 hours for the entire test unless I'm there and see an error pop up I'll just stop it right there.

I was also told to turn off XMP and run the test as well. Would that also indicate that something is wrong with the MOBO if I get no errors running at a lower speed?
Yeah memtests can take a long time for sure. I had to test 3x sets of 256GB once--each pass took 38hrs. :eek:

I wouldn't run the memory less than its rated speed. I wouldn't overclock for sure, but I...
Run the test on a single module in a single slot. Once you get something to pass perfect, move that module to another slot and repeat slot. Do this with all your slots.

If you have errors on a known good module in a particular slot, then the slot can have issues which can be a warranty with the motherboard manufacturer. You can always remove the cmos battery, drain all the power and try some crc contact cleaner (and let it thoroughly dry before putting everything back together!!). If that works then it may save you a return for now, but the issue may pop back up again later.

nabbate

Honorable
Mar 1, 2018
Run the test on a single module in a single slot. Once you get something to pass perfect, move that module to another slot and repeat slot. Do this with all your slots.

If you have errors on a known good module in a particular slot, then the slot can have issues which can be a warranty with the motherboard manufacturer. You can always remove the cmos battery, drain all the power and try some crc contact cleaner (and let it thoroughly dry before putting everything back together!!). If that works then it may save you a return for now, but the issue may pop back up again later.

It's late here now so I will try this tomorrow when I first wake up and let it run during work and see if I get a good stick from that. If it's a bad one I'll switch it out with the other stick and run it again. Though this could be a long process because it takes 2:30 hours for the entire test unless I'm there and see an error pop up I'll just stop it right there.

I was also told to turn off XMP and run the test as well. Would that also indicate that something is wrong with the MOBO if I get no errors running at a lower speed?

Yeah memtests can take a long time for sure. I had to test 3x sets of 256GB once--each pass took 38hrs. :eek:

I wouldn't run the memory less than its rated speed. I wouldn't overclock for sure, but I would test at the highest rated speed for the motherboard and ram.

If a module passes as less than the highest speed, you still don't know if it's the motherboard or ram unless another module passes in that same socket at a higher speed--then the module that only passed at a lower speed is bad. But then again, a module like that would have failed the 'full speed' test and the module that passed would have passed that same 'full speed' test, so you're not learning anything new by testing at lower speeds and if anything introducing 'false positives'

Solution

nabbate

Honorable
Mar 1, 2018

I wouldn't run the memory less than its rated speed. I wouldn't overclock for sure, but I would test at the highest rated speed for the motherboard and ram.

If a module passes as less than the highest speed, you still don't know if it's the motherboard or ram unless another module passes in that same socket at a higher speed--then the module that only passed at a lower speed is bad. But then again, a module like that would have failed the 'full speed' test and the module that passed would have passed that same 'full speed' test, so you're not learning anything new by testing at lower speeds and if anything introducing 'false positives'

Thank you that saves me a ton of time and makes a lot of sense to me. I will be back tomorrow night around 6ish with an update!

nabbate

Honorable
Mar 1, 2018
You're welcome! I hope something quickly jumps out as being the fault and you can get it replaced and everything back up to 100% again! :)

I'm almost tempted with just upgraded the Motherboard, CPU, and Power Supply (I've actually had the PSU for like 7-8 years at this point)

The MotherBoard is a Z270 Mpower Gaming Titanium
CPU is a i7-7700k (not OC because of this current issue. I thought it was the CPU for awhile)
And the PSU is a TX750W

nabbate

Honorable
Mar 1, 2018
Hmmm...it wouldn't hurt to run a memtest with another psu--not a new one, but a known working one. Probably won't change a think, but you never know. Dirty power can cause all sorts of oddball issues.

Good morning! Well it was good until I realized when I left the house with my computer running the test I forgot to set the XMP profile back to on.... just wasted that test lol.

I was looking at videos on YouTube on microstutters and found a application called RTSS that's supposed to be able to show my drops in frames and all that even if it looks like it's still at say 85 FPS so I'm going to try that as well tonight and see if that works with figuring out if it's something else as well causing these stutters.

Thanks again for all this help.

EDIT/UPDATE: My Dad sent me a picture of the test with XMP off and it passed all for passes with 0 errors. I know you said that would introduce false positives but just wanted to throw it out there since I ran the test like an idiot this morning without XMP on.

EDIT EDIT: Also seeing online that sometimes BIOS doesn't set the XMP/OC correctly. I'll check the timings and voltages when I get home today.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: So, I'm looking at reviews for the RAM that I got and a lot of people are saying it can't run at the labeled 3200 speed but runs perfectly fine at 3000. Anyone willing to help me tweak the BIOs for that? And i'll run memtest again from there.

Last edited: