[SOLVED] Ran my brand new i7 9700k without a cpu fan for a handful of minutes

GameNationFilms

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
I'm having issues with this build. It wouldn't post, and the EZ Debug on the Tomahawk was telling me there was issues with the CPU and the RAM (CPU led as a dot, off, DRAM led as a dash, off, cycle.) so I went and took off my Kraken x62 and unseated the CPU to inspect the motherboard. Lo and behond, there's a pin somehow bent back into the motherboard.

I'm RMA'ing the board, as I feel it absolutely must have been a factory defect, but that's not the point. I had imagined it wouldn't hurt anything to pop the CPU back in and see if it would still post with a little finagling, and whence installing the Kraken back on the CPU.... forgot to plug the little bastard back in.

I started and stopped the PC several times, with intermittent amounts of time powered on (but largely no longer than 30 seconds at a time) the longest being a few minutes due to troubleshooting on my phone. Once I realized my mistake, I took the cooler off, wiped the now dried out thermal paste off of both the CPU and Motherboard, applied new paste, and let it cool down for a while.

Still won't post. I'm almost certain the original issue is a motherboard problem, but now I'm incredibly concerned that I've fried my processor. It wasn't posting, so it's not like it was doing much, but this processor is kind of a beast at even normal speeds.

I can wait some time for RMA to do it's magic, but I really really don't want to spend $420 on a replacement CPU due to stupidity. What are the chances that the CPU is down and out?

Solution
It is bent indeed, and it might be the cause, but it might also be that the board's BIOS does not support the CPU and might need an update. If returning the board, I suggest buying instead a Z390 one.

GameNationFilms

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014

I'm using the MSI z370 Tomahawk. I don't have the best eyesight in the world, and camera shots of pins are hard to see at best, but in this picture, it looks quite like the pin is bend down and inwards into the hole it originated from. https://imgur.com/zf3JpXg It's located in the bottom right corner of the socket. This is my likely culprit of the post and CPU/RAM detection issues.

GameNationFilms

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014

Dear lord, the motherboard is 8th gen compatible and I have a 9th gen processor. What a freaking spoon. I swear this isn't my first time building a PC, but I suppose if I were to miss one thing it would be one of the most important bits. Thank you so much. I suppose at the very least, should I have to eat the cost, it will only cost me $180 instead of $420.