Question random 100% Disk usage and >2000ms reponse time on WD RED HDD

Apr 22, 2020
Hello all,

I've got a desktop PC, pretty stable, Windows 10 1909 installed on a 512GB SSD with a 3.5 TB HDD for storage (WD RED) connected through SATA3. Been working like that since around 2 years without major issues.

A few days ago, I started noticing some random slowing when working. I started investigating a bit more and I noticed than my HDD usage (for my storage drive) was sometimes stucked at 100%, with response popping in and out between 0ms and >2000ms (up to 10k ms) with read/write speed around 100-200kb/s. I noticed it tended to occur when I was accessing the drive in explorer (browsing files and folders) or launching apps installed on this drive.

I did a few things to investigate :
  • Did chkdsk with cluster check - normal after 8h test
  • used WD tools to do normal and extended checks - normal after 8h test
    [*]

Did a SMART and quick stress test (5min) with Hard Disk Sentinel - PASSED (temperature normal, performance is good and no bad clusters reported)
------------------------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT : I closely monitored Activity Monitor during chkdsk and WD TOOLS scan and during all those scans, drive activity was around 80%, read speed was around 300 MB/s and response time was consistently <15 ms.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

• Tried copying a bunch of file from the drive to an external HDD - Read speed were consistently above 100 mb/s and latency was around 10-20 ms. Copy came back without issues.
  • Did a sweep for malware and viruses with Kapersky Security Cloud - issue came back (at idle or during random - not too intensive- activity
  • Switched my SSD and and HDD SATA port - issue came back
-Changed SATA cable - issue came back
  • Did sfcscan with an elevated command prompt - came back normal and issue back back
    [*]

Reinstalled drive drivers - issue came back
-
Inspected Logs from Microsoft Console and solved a few issues related mostly to Tiles and System Restore (god microsoft, PLEASE SOLVE THOSE BUGS) - issue came back
- Benchmarked my computer on UserBenchmark. Everything was normal but i've noticed that the drive performance was about 23th percentile there compared to other user benchmark from other users.. so without being alarming there, it's still kind of low.

I've noticed that if I close every APP that use storage on this drive (2 instances of OneDrive, qBitTorrent, Dropbox, Steam), Activity Monitor report pretty much 0 activity and 0 issues. But this issue comes back randomly when activity starts again.

Another thing that might be important - I've tried to check SMART status with DiskCheckup when the issue occured (it can stay hanged for a few minutes) and strangely, DiskCheckup did not recognize the drive as SMART enabled during the problem. However, after the hang, the drive was reported SMART-enabled and SMART status came back normal.

I'm feeling a bit out of ressources now. Since all check test came back normal and there was kind of no trauma involved, I'm not ready to say the drive is defective. Maybe reinstall Windows ? But again... What could cause this ? Any ideas would be appreciated !

Thanks ! (First post here)

Apr 22, 2020
After tweaking some more, I disabled Kapersky and came back to Windows Defender and the system seem more stable now...
I'm running some more hardware extended self-test through HDD Sentinel, but so far everything is good.

Crossing fingers !

Apr 22, 2020
In case anyone stumble upon this issue.. It seemed my SATA COnnector was broken (the data cable). The plastic encasement broke and it was just the copper pins touching each other causing the random disconnection. I managed to backup my disk by holding them together for a night and changed the hard drive. I got no idea how it happened but anyhow..