random 100% disk usage freeze spikes

Howlgram

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
100% disk usage freeze

So this is what happens:
jrqLPWM.png

it happens with different applications (games, while listening to music, when navigating folders, watching a movie on VLC) and it only happens on my HDD, the other disk is an SDD and doesnt have this issue, i tested it by migrating one of my games to the SDD and played it plenty without having it freeze.
Whenever it happens the application freezes for an amount of time (anywhere between 10 seconds to over 1 minute) until it just kinda fixes itself and stops being on 100%, then resumes. I've googled plenty but can't find a solution or a reason for this issue. Any ideas?

I thought maybe i'd defrag it but apparently that's not the issue http://i.imgur.com/xYMneFE.png

Solution
Alright i finally solved it, i cant believe windows this is really really dumb but at least i solved it. I just changed the Power Plan from "Balanced" to "High Performance". Seems to be kind of common since it's the first answer on here http://superuser.com/questions/470334/extremely-high-disk-activity-without-any-real-usage but boy did it take long to find that solution.

I think it has to do with the "PCI Express power saving" option that my computer comes with, because after changing the power plan i also solved another issue where framerate would slightly stutter every few seconds even though benchmarking software didnt seem to catch any sort of framerate drop on the gpu.

<Best Answer selected at OP request>

Howlgram

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015

Yes, I just downloaded the HD Tune Pro to check it and it seems fine. Im also currently running an "error scan" with HD Tune Pro, so far so good but it's gonna take a while to finish the scan
9nrT7hM.png

EDIT:

update, finished the error scan and the disk is Ok, so still no idea what's causing the issue
lhXIAPa.png

EDIT:

ran CHKDSK and it says the HDD is okay too, no problems found. Does anyone know if i should take this issue to another forum? if so which would it be

Howlgram

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
Alright i finally solved it, i cant believe windows this is really really dumb but at least i solved it. I just changed the Power Plan from "Balanced" to "High Performance". Seems to be kind of common since it's the first answer on here http://superuser.com/questions/470334/extremely-high-disk-activity-without-any-real-usage but boy did it take long to find that solution.

I think it has to do with the "PCI Express power saving" option that my computer comes with, because after changing the power plan i also solved another issue where framerate would slightly stutter every few seconds even though benchmarking software didnt seem to catch any sort of framerate drop on the gpu.

<Best Answer selected at OP request>

Solution
Dec 1, 2018

This fixed my problem. Thank you so much. Upgraded my PC and got a gigabyte motherboard aorus x470 ultra gaming motherboard and this was giving me random SSD 100 percent usage lag spikes and freezing while playing games. Spent hours and finally your solution worked. Thanks