[SOLVED] Random and consistent reboots in games - Dont know if its PSU related or not [SOLVED]

Mar 23, 2020
So i'm at my wits end here.
Been having my system reboot whilst gaming both randomly, and i've found some cases where it is consistent. Playing CS:GO or DOTA 2 i get between 5 and 50 minutes between reboots. Other games i can get it to consistantly crash in some specific menus if Vsync is off, which leads me to believe it's got something to do with the FPS (since the FPS is high in those menues), but that doesn't explain the random crashes in games like DOTA. My first suspect was of course the PSU. But i stresstested both GPU using Furmark and CPU using prime95 at the same time (with both GPU and CPU overclocked), and that showed no sign of instability. I don't think its a thermal issue either, since my temps are fine. I dont reboot (atleast i dont think i do) if i limit the power draw on the GPU to 50% in MSI afterburner.
Only thing i can see in windows event viewer is a kernel 41 event. I have also been getting some hard hangs (pc is completely unresponsive), which i think are related but i am not sure.

Things i have tried:
  • Reinstalling windows
  • Removing and reinstalling drivers (also using DDU uninstaller)
  • Reseating cables
  • Tried to remove dust from my case
  • Checked the ram sticks by having them insterted one by one
  • Used windows memory scan and disc scan.
  • Turned off fast startup
  • Turned off Superfetch (Sysmain) service
  • Unplugged reset button jumper
  • Tweeked settings in Nvidia Control panel
  • Turning off overclocks
  • Underclocking CPU
  • Putting GPU in a different PCIe slot
And as i mentioned the only thing that seems to help is limiting power draw on the GPU during gaming.

My rig:
CPU: i5-4690k (3 yo.)
GPU: Asus Cerberus 1070ti 8 GB (speccy says 4GB, don't know if thats helpfull or not) (Almost brand new)
Mobo: MSI - B85-G43 Gaming (6 yo.)
Memory: 4x4 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 MHz (2 3yo. 2 6yo.)
SSD: Samsung evo 850 500 GB (3 yo.)
Hard drive: Seagate 1 TB (6 yo.)
PSU: Cooler Master 750w Bronze (6 yo.)

I am totally aware that this might be a PSU issue, but im not sure when it doesn't show instability during stress tests. I dont mind buying a new one if it does the trick, but i have no idea.
Pardon the spelling and Thank you for your time :)

Edit: Bought a new PSU, and replaced the old one and now i don't have any issues :).

Last edited:
Solution
It could also be caused by a faulty GPU. If you have a spare or could borrow one for testing purposes I would do that. Same for the PSU though looks like you have done everything already apart from swapping components.
Mar 23, 2020
It could also be caused by a faulty GPU. If you have a spare or could borrow one for testing purposes I would do that. Same for the PSU though looks like you have done everything already apart from swapping components.
Yes. Im going to try and put my GPU in my friends rig and see if does the same.

Mar 23, 2020
GPU runs fine in a different system. But i also had an old 550 in my system and nothing really happend, but then again the fps wasn't really that high because of how old a card it is. I've ordered a new power supply, i hope that does the trick. If not then im out of ideas again.