Question Random and frequent BSOD's

Apr 16, 2024
A little background to the issue. I built this PC in 2019 and it ran fine for two years where I deployed from 2021 to 2022. Once I got home the PC would BSOD I would say once a month. This has been an ongoing issue for the last year and a half where occasionally it would BSOD multiple times a day, then magically go back to once a month. Well now its back to multiple times a day and I'm tired of it entirely.

My specs are...
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor (Ver. 5.01.29.2026)
W/ Cooler Master 212X Dual Fan
NVIDIA 2080 Super 8GB GDDR6 (Ver. 552.12 04Apr2024)
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX DDR4 32GB (2x16GB)
MSI X570-A PRO (MS-7C37)
GIGABYTE GP-G750H 750 Watt Power Supply
1TB SSD Samsung Evo 2.5 870 (OS & Programs)
W/ Windows 10 Pro (10.0.19045)
14TB HHD 3.5 7200 RPM (Games, Documents, and Photos)

So far I have...
Replaced the SSD.
Replaced the HHD.
Reinstalled Windows close to 6 or 7 times.
Two MEMTEST both showing no fault/errors.
Multiple online guides for Event ID 131, 200, 201, 202, and 41

All with no success.

I most commonly see on the BSOD a stop code of "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED", "KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR What failed: HTTP.sys", and "KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR What failed: Msfs.SYS"

I haven't been able to replicate the issue entirely, but it seems to be mostly when windows is loading something, like the file explorer, control panel, or even the task manager and I click on those windows/applications before it finishes loading. I can usually predict the BSOD because my audio will immediately go quiet, or glitch out repetitiously playing the last bit of sound that came through the speakers. My internet pages, or games continue to function, sometimes even discord friends can still hear me while my mouse movement and keystrokes move to a slow-motion like pace. Then abruptly afterwards the blue screen will appear, after it gathers its information it will typically restart the PC and go straight to a black screen that says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key." The only way for me to actually use the PC again, is to manually press the power button, wait around 2-3 minutes then press the power button to turn it back on. Afterwards it's back to what appears to be a normal PC until it decides not too anymore.

I've attached the only dump file I can find and a picture of my event viewer to show the frequency of the event id's that appear.
Event Viewer: View: https://imgur.com/a/TDtxwgN

Dump File: https://file.io/5ajA44vLIilA

Please let me know what other info is needed so this may start to be resolved. I don't want to throw money at this issue, but I have asked 10 "Computer Guys" and got 10 different answers. Kind of at a total loss at the moment.

RaidHobbit

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
You`re experiencing a problem with the Kernel requesting data from your storage medium, but the data is not being read correctly or fast enough.

Reinstalling windows, and switching storage medium were good moves but haven`t resolved it. The drivers involved will be in Windows so you don`t need to touch them as you reinstalled.

Its time to remove one stick of memory and see if it still happens. If not, switch the stick that`s in and see if it happens with that? The memory is really the only thing left that it can be.

Apr 16, 2024
You`re experiencing a problem with the Kernel requesting data from your storage medium, but the data is not being read correctly or fast enough.

Reinstalling windows, and switching storage medium were good moves but haven`t resolved it. The drivers involved will be in Windows so you don`t need to touch them as you reinstalled.

Its time to remove one stick of memory and see if it still happens. If not, switch the stick that`s in and see if it happens with that? The memory is really the only thing left that it can be.
Instead of doing them one at a time, since its like $60. I'll end up ordering replacements and running the PC for about a week. I'll keep you updated on the status.

Thank you for such a quick reply.

Reactions: RaidHobbit
First off thank you for your service.
The guys around this place have a lot more experience than me. but if it ran fine before you left a lot can change with drivers and updates.

I would update the BIOs install all the new drivers. check for windows updates might have to run it a few times. reinstall the gpu drivers use DDU to remove the old ones. give the PC a good clean out and reset everything.

TRENDING THREADS