Question Random app freezing

tommytgc

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
Two days ago random apps on my pc started randomly freezing. Apps that I noticed were freezing randomly so far: my vpn, anti-malware and skype. For example: I would do something on my anti-malware software and then it will just freeze and not work and after a while the whole program window get white and windows doesnt recoginse it as a frozen program so I have to force shutdown the program via task manager and for my vpn when I try to close it via the X button it just freezes and I have to force close it by task manager an for the skype it started lagging really badly and then froze.(I never had this issues before but now these issues repeat all the time they dont end) Any ideas whats wrong? Thank you for the answers

Ralston18

Titan
Have you tried reinstalling any or all of those apps?

Any error codes, warnings, or even information events in Event Viewer or Reliability History/Manager?

Also important to update your post to include full system hardware and software specs: someone may be aware of an applicable issue.

tommytgc

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
Have you tried reinstalling any or all of those apps?

Any error codes, warnings, or even information events in Event Viewer or Reliability History/Manager?

Also important to update your post to include full system hardware and software specs: someone may be aware of an applicable issue.
Yes I tried reinstlling vpn and it says that it doesnt have write permission. I tried deleting leftover files from vpn and it said that I cant becaues the program is running even tho I unistalled it

My specs: 8gb ram i5-6600k gtx1050 intel 760p ssd

Ralston18

Titan
In Task Manager, remove the affected apps from the Startup Tab.

Then, if the system is stable (no more freezes) try adding back each app one at a time.

There may be one app or some combination of the apps that may again cause freezes.

What motherboard and PSU? Could be a power related problem especially if the PSU is aging and deteriorating. May no longer be able to support the load.

tommytgc

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
In Task Manager, remove the affected apps from the Startup Tab.

Then, if the system is stable (no more freezes) try adding back each app one at a time.

There may be one app or some combination of the apps that may again cause freezes.

What motherboard and PSU? Could be a power related problem especially if the PSU is aging and deteriorating. May no longer be able to support the load.
My motherboard is asus prime b250m-plus and psu is be quiet pure power 11 600w non modular and I bought it around a week ago

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Continue monitoring apps launched at startup.

Key is to eliminate software and/or configuration as the root cause.

And remember that, even if new, the PSU may have some problem.

Overall, the PSU is a critical component and any issues or failures will cause varying and widespread problems within the host computer.

Total up the wattage requirements for all of the installed components. Add 25%.

How close is that end value to 600 Watts?

tommytgc

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
Continue monitoring apps launched at startup.

Key is to eliminate software and/or configuration as the root cause.

And remember that, even if new, the PSU may have some problem.

Overall, the PSU is a critical component and any issues or failures will cause varying and widespread problems within the host computer.

Total up the wattage requirements for all of the installed components. Add 25%.

How close is that end value to 600 Watts?
400watts

Ralston18

Titan
Well within the PSU's wattage rating.

Next step is to power down the pc, unplug, and open the case.

Double check that all connections, card seatings, RAM seating, jumpers, etc. are all fully and firmly in place.

Plus, going back a bit: "Any error codes, warnings, or even information events in Event Viewer or Reliability History/Manager?"

tommytgc

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
Well within the PSU's wattage rating.

Next step is to power down the pc, unplug, and open the case.

Double check that all connections, card seatings, RAM seating, jumpers, etc. are all fully and firmly in place.

Plus, going back a bit: "Any error codes, warnings, or even information events in Event Viewer or Reliability History/Manager?"
These are a few of the error logs in the Event viewer:

The program obs64.exe version 0.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: ab4
Start Time: 01d521f4f1f32113
Termination Time: 4294967295
Application Path: C:\Program Files\obs-studio\bin\64bit\obs64.exe
Report Id: 53fcc0c5-c044-4936-8ecb-5b9712658f7e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Hang type: Top level window is idle

The program Windscribe.exe version 1.83.1.20 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 2768
Start Time: 01d521f090b47371
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windscribe\Windscribe.exe
Report Id: 3666d8e5-58f2-4ac9-b35d-570f7a6b9512

The program mbam.exe version 3.1.0.1807 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: a20
Start Time: 01d521502ba8d1f3
Application Path: C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
Report Id: df34889e-3ad8-4c92-9024-599388b0042f

and theres more in the reliability history

tommytgc

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018

Ralston18

Titan
The programs (per the applications paths):

obs64.exe = OBS Studio

windscribe.exe = vpn client

mbam.exe = malwarebyes anti malware

Are the above "='s" correct?

Are all installed versions up-to-date with respect to the application itself and Windows 10?

Remove all from Startup or otherwise do not launch.

Work on your computer long enough to be satisfied that no freezes are occurring.

Then start launching the programs one by one to determine if the freezes are due to just one of the programs or some combination thereof.

tommytgc

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
The programs (per the applications paths):

obs64.exe = OBS Studio

windscribe.exe = vpn client

mbam.exe = malwarebyes anti malware

Are the above "='s" correct?

Are all installed versions up-to-date with respect to the application itself and Windows 10?

Remove all from Startup or otherwise do not launch.

Work on your computer long enough to be satisfied that no freezes are occurring.

Then start launching the programs one by one to determine if the freezes are due to just one of the programs or some combination thereof.
I dont know what but my pc started to work normally again tho I did remove VPN from startup programs so thanks for help 😃

Mar 22, 2022
CMD gave me this:

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
Same problem with me please help but the software are different (photoshop , corel draw and illustrator stopp freezing randomly)
I tried above steps but it didnt work for me )