[SOLVED] Random black outs, gaming only with DP, HDMI works

QuadriplegicGamer

Reputable
Oct 6, 2020
Please help!

As title states, my monitor drops signal randomly, only when gaming. Does not black out any other time, just games. Funny thing is, no issues when using HDMI or the motherboard DP output. So, obviously this is related to Displayport output from the GPU.

Lots of posts with this issue but NONE resolved.

Things I've tried :
Turning stuff on and off, new gpu drivers, fresh windows, different cable, first one came with monitor, second one was expensive and rated for 8k@60 VESA cert, different connector holes on both gpu and monitor, changed all input related settings on monitor...

Here's the kicker, I used integrated DP output on the mobo using intel 630UHD graphics and everything works fine, of course at lower graphic fidelity, but apparently running 1440@144hz . So, it's not the monitor or cable right?!

SYSTEM:
BenQ EX3203R 32"1440p@144hz
ASUS TUF Z390m PRO
i7 9700k stock
G skill 16g DDR4 3600 in correct slots lol
2T Samsung 970s
MSI 2070 armor version 8g stock
Cougar 1050 watt GXV3 80+gold PSU

So, obviously narrowed it to the card, but it works great in all conditions except through displayport output. Would you say
Drivers...bios...hardware...???

Solution
You could try another monitor, although I'm not sure how easily you could get access to one. Also, try doing a clean driver install, it could just be some overriding drivers that mess each other up. Sometimes, when you get a new driver on your gpu, it might have a glitch on it that causes it to fail, I've had it done to me. The solution would just be to run an older driver, and wait for the next update and test to see if that works.

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
You could try another monitor, although I'm not sure how easily you could get access to one. Also, try doing a clean driver install, it could just be some overriding drivers that mess each other up. Sometimes, when you get a new driver on your gpu, it might have a glitch on it that causes it to fail, I've had it done to me. The solution would just be to run an older driver, and wait for the next update and test to see if that works.

Solution

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
I did, yes. Again, you didn't do anything with a different monitor, so you should try that. You also said that you updated drivers, but that didn't specify a clean install, which I recommended. Finally, you didn't say anything else about an older driver version, which I would strongly recommend.

I hope some of these help!