Random Black Screen Crashes

kriptick

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
I recently built a gaming pc about 2 months ago that worked great the first 2 weeks then out of no where I started to get these random black screen crashes. The monitor will go black, but it's still receiving a signal, the sound cuts out every time although the amount of time it takes varies but no longer than 2 minutes after initial black screen, and the mouse and keyboard become unresponsive. The HDD light on the case flashes as normal and the fans do not speed up before or after this occurs. I monitor temps and don't do any OC so I'm positive it's not over heating, plus it only seems to occur when web browsing or watching a movie or sometimes when left idle and has never happened during gaming or under any sort of heavy load. I have it set to never go into sleep or turn off the monitor. All drivers and recent updates are installed and I don't have any viruses. Like I said, it seems to happen completely at random, sometimes I can go weeks without problem, other times it will occur multiple times a day and the only way to get it back is to hard restart. I never see any error related to the crash in event viewer, I'm completely perplexed!! Please give me any advice you can offer, I would greatly appreciate it!

Specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DSP3
CPU: AMD FX-6300
GPU: Visiontek Radeon R7 260X
PSU: Corsair CX500
RAM: Patriot 8GB
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium
HDD: Western Digital 500GB

kriptick

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
I'm using the stock cooler that came with the cpu and the case has 3 120mm fans, one in the front, rear, and side and cables are managed nicely. As I stated in my original post it only occurs during light use, web browsing, watching youtube videos, or even just sitting idle at the desktop.

kriptick

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
I can play games like BF4 for hours and hours without it happening, it has never happened during or even shortly after a long gaming session and idle cpu temps hover around 15c according to Open Hardware Monitor.

if you have extra thermal compound do these steps works for alot of people.

Remove thermal paste completely cpu/heatsink.

Add pea/dot sized drop on the cpu (DO NO PAINT THE CPU THE HEATSINK WILL DO IT ITSELF.)

Add heatsink back in make sure its nice and tight and fire it up and tell me the temps.

kriptick

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
Sorry I don't have any termal paste and the only way to get it in my area is to order online. Could it be anything else besides temps? I'm really not convinced it temp related because I've gotten the black screen crash minutes after a boot to the desktop after being off overnight.

Bruce McGee

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
I have been battling the same issue with the Visiontek R7 since January. Same exact problem as kriptick has described with one difference. I have not seen temps that high. I finally sent the card back via RMA and yesterday a new card showed up and proceeded to have the same issue this morning. For reference here is my specs

CPU: Intel i5 sandy bridge
Motherboard: Generic Gateway( pre-built machine)
RAM: 8gig DDR3
PSU: Corsair CX600
HDD: 1TB western digital

So with the first card I would see temps under top out at 56c and under no load stay between 37-41c. Also while testing I never saw the CPU temp go much over 40c in my case. I tried everything as far as drivers went both the current stable and beta. Both sets with and without the catalyst control center installed. The second card which I have had less than 24 hours never seemed to go above 42c, but I only played Wurm Online and did a bit of web surfing.

Like Kriptick the majority of my crashes came while web browsing or when the PC was idol. The crashes are extremely random in nature. Not sure any of this helps solve his problem or mine. I am still waiting to hear back from Visiotek support. If I find a solution I will post it here.