[SOLVED] Random black screen, little responsiveness ?

inZane86

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2012
Hi everyone, hope I'm finding you all well.

Today I started having a weird computer issue which I cant seem to find any real solution to through google. My screen turns black with no responsiveness at all. The pc is still on but nothing seems to work. It's happened twice, once at 7pm and again at 8:52pm. I wasn't doing anything intensive yet I do have 3d modeling software open. My pc is fairly new, about 6 months old, however the PSU and GPU are around 6 years old.
This seems to happen at random, I click on something and boom it goes black.

The last time this happened, I tried unplugging the hdmi going from my gpu to my tv, and plugging it into the on-board graphics - still nothing, however I'm told that it might not work if the graphics card is still plugged in.
When I did this, I did notice the hdd red light flickering. Audio is dead, as I get my audio via HDMI.

I do monitor my hdds and my cpu/gpu temps almost religiously, and am not doing anything intensive when this happens. My cpu idles at about 34c, while my gpu at about 35-45c under moderate load.

I did also notice the other day while booting into windows, I got a no signal message, which upon investigation I found related to a Windows 10 bug.

One thing I've consistently noticed each time this happens, in the event viewer in close proximity to shutdown there is an event "Error - Application Popup" with the following description:
"The description for Event ID 56 from source Application Popup cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer."

I'm about to uninstall all my graphics drivers anyway, but decided to post just to get as much input as possible, I cant really splurge on a new card right now.

Can anyone give me some advice? I'd greatly appreciate it!

My specs are:
Windows 10
Intel i3 10100
16gb Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz ram
Gigabyte H410M S2H Mobo
Radeon R9 280 graphics card
Corsair 650 Gold PSU

I'll post more info as I get it, I just desperately need to sort this out. I use my pc for work.

Solution
How did you make out?
This may be just a simple case of needing to restart the PC more frequently. Win10 doesn't actually shut down when you tell it to so you aren't getting a real one. it just goes to a deep sleep so it can startup fast.

You can also make yourself a shutdown shortcut.
Rt click a blank part of your desktop, & select new > shortcut.
For the location put in shutdown /s /f /t 0
then next name it whatever you like - done.

Feel free to change the icon by rt clicking the desktop icon you made and then on change icon.

popatim

Titan
How did you make out?
This may be just a simple case of needing to restart the PC more frequently. Win10 doesn't actually shut down when you tell it to so you aren't getting a real one. it just goes to a deep sleep so it can startup fast.

You can also make yourself a shutdown shortcut.
Rt click a blank part of your desktop, & select new > shortcut.
For the location put in shutdown /s /f /t 0
then next name it whatever you like - done.

Feel free to change the icon by rt clicking the desktop icon you made and then on change icon.

Solution