Question Random Black Screen on UWQHD

Oct 10, 2022
The monitor in question is a UWQHD

I don't actually know if this is the right section as I don't know what the problem comes from, whether it is the pc or something else. I get times when the screen goes black, I attach a video for more info.
When does it happen? It's really hard to tell, sometimes a lot, sometimes once a day, but if I just watch on the monitor (video) it doesn't happen, I need to actually use it to make it happen. Most of the time is when I return to a chrome/mozilla tab with a youtube video open (I listen to music on youtube a lot).
I tried changing the HDMI cable, as well as the input on the screen (the NUC has only one HDMI input, so I cannot change it), I tried testing the NUC on another screen (a 4K TV, while the one I use is a UWQHD), I don't have the same effetcs but it's a little buggy. Windows 11 has no driver-related updates.
What can I try? It could be anything, the screen is under warranty and I can exchange it with Amazon, the thing is I'm not sure that's the problem and there's the hustle for the new screen in case it arrives wrong for me.
I don't know if it's relevand, but the monitor is a 144hz, but I can't set the NUC to go at 144hz. It's capped at 100hz.

I tried:
  • Changing HDMI cable
  • Chaning HDMI input on the monitor
  • Uninstall GRAPHICS and AUDIO driver with DDU, reinstall them again
  • I thought that the temperature was too high (I bought it used), so I cleaned it inside and changed thermal paste. On idle is around 45 degree now, still it's not normal. 75 degree with zoom, obs, voicemeter, discord.
  • Updated the BIOS as well
Monitor: Acer Nitro XV340CKP
PC: Intel NUC8i7BEH2 NUC Kit, Intel Core i7-8559U 4.5 GHz

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jun 12, 2015
Not sure you can try running gpu, as well as screen, at 60 and see if it stops black screening.

I don't know if its because its not getting the signal speed it needs. I have had that problem running a 4k screen before

could try running DDU, uninstall the display drivers, boot back into normal & reinstall them again:
windows 10 drivers are good enough in most cases, not a massive difference between 10 & 11

same monitor sometimes turning off but they had 2 monitors - https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/653623/anything-else-worth-trying-to-fix-my-xv340ckp

same monitor, fades to black - link

looks like could be a fault with monitor, or drivers.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022
Not sure you can buy try running gpu as well as screen at 60 and see if it stops black screening.

I don't know if its because its not getting the signal speed it needs. I have had that problem running a 4k screen before

could try running DDU, uninstall the display drivers, boot back into normal & reinstall them again:

same monitor sometimes turning off but they had 2 monitors - https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/653623/anything-else-worth-trying-to-fix-my-xv340ckp

same monitor, fades to black - link

looks like could be a fault with monitor.
I'm trying to switch to 60hz but...well if it does work I think that I would return it to get a cheaper monitor. Second, the resolution is not working as it should.
100hz and 30hz:
View: https://imgur.com/P37RjM6

60hz:
View: https://imgur.com/LuTeTWI

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This looks like the symptoms of a loose data or power connection...or a defective display. Testing the PC/NUC with another display, like a HDTV if a monitor is not available, would help isolate the issue.

Oct 10, 2022
This looks like the symptoms of a loose data or power connection...or a defective display. Testing the PC/NUC with another display, like a HDTV if a monitor is not available, would help isolate the issue.
I tried on a HDTV and 4KTV, it's hard to reproduce it because it's not costant but it is buggy... it's not the same flick. I can't really remember if it was on the 4K or HD thought. Basically when I click on a windows sometimes everything besides the windows that I clicked turns black for a second. I can't change the HDMI output on the nuc.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I tried on a HDTV and 4KTV, it's hard to reproduce it because it's not costant but it is buggy... it's not the same flick. I can't really remember if it was on the 4K or HD thought. Basically when I click on a windows sometimes everything besides the windows that I clicked turns black for a second. I can't change the HDMI output on the nuc.
Are you saying that there are similar issues when connected to the other displays?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jun 12, 2015
Oct 10, 2022

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Sound like the issue is with the NUC itself, at this point.

You could try booting the NUC with a live Linux distro (via USB drive) to see if the issue occurs with a different OS. That would help isolate whether a Windows issue, or a hardware issue.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jun 12, 2015
Is it not the CPU can only do max of 60?

CPU - https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/137979/intel-core-i78559u-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html
Specs from CPU page:
Max Resolution (HDMI)‡ 4096 x 2304@30Hz
Max Resolution (DP)‡ 4096 x 2304@60Hz
Max Resolution (eDP - Integrated Flat Panel)‡ 4096 x 2304@60Hz
display running at 3840 x 1440 so its within res but speed is the thing it can't do.
aspect ratio changing at 60 is odd.

Its possible nuc is problem but I feel the display is part of it too.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Is it not the CPU can only do max of 60?

display running at 3840 x 1440 so its within res but speed is the thing it can't do.
aspect ratio changing at 60 is odd.

Its possible nuc is problem but I feel the display is part of it too.
This is potentially an issue (speed), but it seems to also happen (as noted above to some extent) with other displays (1080p, I assume, and 4k).

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS