Question Random black screen + turned off gpu fans, reboots into broken drivers

Sep 18, 2021
hey, this is a bit of a complicated issue but here's whats happening: multiple times a day, at random times, my monitors turn black and my GPU fan stops spinning. I can't interact with the PC(but audio still plays for a bit). To fix this, I need power off the pc and turn it back on, it will reboot back as normal until it happens again. The "black screen" will either happen at random, or sometimes when the desk is bumped(although not a power cable issue).

So, that's the main issue. Here is the second component. If I leave the computer in this "black screen, fans off" state that it gets into when this happens for too long, when I reboot the computer it will boot with the second monitor off and my driver settings reverted to default. To fix this, I need to reinstall/repair the drivers then restart again to get it back to normal. This is a weird issue I've had for a while and I can barely use the computer because of it, if anyone could help, that would be great.

-- specs: 5700XT, ryzen 5 3600, 650w psu, 16gb corsair vengeance ram

hey, this is a bit of a complicated issue but here's whats happening: multiple times a day, at random times, my monitors turn black and my GPU fan stops spinning. I can't interact with the PC(but audio still plays for a bit). To fix this, I need power off the pc and turn it back on, it will reboot back as normal until it happens again. The "black screen" will either happen at random, or sometimes when the desk is bumped(although not a power cable issue).

So, that's the main issue. Here is the second component. If I leave the computer in this "black screen, fans off" state that it gets into when this happens for too long, when I reboot the computer it will boot with the second monitor off and my driver settings reverted to default. To fix this, I need to reinstall/repair the drivers then restart again to get it back to normal. This is a weird issue I've had for a while and I can barely use the computer because of it, if anyone could help, that would be great.

-- specs: 5700XT, ryzen 5 3600, 650w psu, 16gb corsair vengeance ram
Detailed specs please? Psu brand and model, motherboard brand and model, ram speed, etc.

Np; seems like the AB350M-Gaming 3-CF is the model I have.
You could try these step by step:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios(download, extract the files and copy it to flashdrive, plug it on top rear usb slot then reboot to bios and flash the bios). Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot and connect to internet.

• Install the latest radeon driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing amd chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did), make sure your ram is on slot 2 and 4. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them all.
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Sep 18, 2021
You could try these step by step:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios(download, extract the files and copy it to flashdrive, plug it on top rear usb slot then reboot to bios and flash the bios). Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot and connect to internet.

• Install the latest radeon driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing amd chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did), make sure your ram is on slot 2 and 4. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them all.
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png
I'll give these things a try and let you know how it goes, thanks!

Reactions: Koekieezz