Question Random black screen while gaming, and fans go full blast ?

Spartagus423

Reputable
Nov 29, 2019
Hi my computer has been running fine until about a week ago..

I am playing Path of Exile and run chrome in background with stream playing.

The screen just went black and the fans on GPU start spinning full blast and sound is still playing fine until I restart my computer...It has been happening randomly. I can't figure out how to monitor where the problem is I am looking inside my system and all fans are still spinning...

I have been trying to monitor with Speedfan which says "75-82F" has been the highest temp I have seen. On average my temps have always run a game between 75-78 degrees which is a safe zone.

I thought it might be the driver for my 2080Ti I which currently is
Driver Version: 531.68 - Release Date: Tue Apr 18, 2023
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/204474/
I was on the following 531.61 and before that I had 531.41 Game Ready driver.

I thought it was the driver so I DDU Uninstalled them in Safe Mode and also updated my bios to on my ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wifi) Version 2004. I updated the bios last week after the problem started.

Here is my parts list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Spartagus423/saved/#view=cd6TCJ

I've been trying to run hwmonitor and check the sensor box but not sure how to get the log to see what this issue is with HWInfo or Speedfan? I have a .html of my PC currently but I didn't know if I wanted to show it here do to it shows my MAC Address

Can someone please help. Everything was running fine up until a week ago when I updated my drivers. And Some days I have had no issues but it happened again today after 2 days with no issues. I opened the side of my computer to run it with the case open to see if it happens again. My current temp in game is 73-75 with case side open.

Last edited:

Zinni

Prominent
Oct 15, 2021
I've been having the same problem.

You can check Event Viewer in Windows to see what error messages you're getting during the time of the black screens.

Search in Windows for Event Viewer and look for Administrator Events under the Custom Views tab on the left. You'll probably find that the Nvidia driver is failing or dwm.exe.

Also search for Reliability Monitor. There you will probably see Hardware Error and Desktop Windows Manager stopped working.

I tried the same thing as you. I forgot what program I used, but I was able to save a text document log of the GPU temps and I didn't even get above 60 degrees during black screens.

They began to occur randomly. Sometimes it was so bad that it would completely delete the Nvidia driver and the PC wouldn't recognize that the GPU was installed. I would have to boot into safe mode and reinstall the driver.
I fresh installed Windows, reflashed the BIOS. Nothing fixed it.

I eventually went to MSI's forums (I have an MSI 4090) and saw people having the same problem and many replies were saying that it's probably the power cable for the GPU. That was the 1st time I saw that suggestion and I've been all over the net asking for help about this. I felt good about it because the 4090 would work fine when I tried it in my old PC.

I bought a new power cable and it's been 3 days and no black screens, and I would black screen at least 3 times a day.

So first, give a visual inspection of everything in your PC to see if there's any physical damage. Then reseat everything in your PC. The RAM, the GPU and all your power cables. Check to see if there's any damage to the power cable connectors.

Also try hard resetting the bios. It's usually done by removing the CMOS battery for 5 minutes and holding the PC's power button down for 30 seconds, but check your motherboard's manual to see what specific procedure they recommend. Also check if your motherboard has a BIOS update.

You should also try running Memtest86 to see if there's anything wrong with your RAM. If everything checks out but you're still black screening, try putting the 2080ti in a known working PC. And if you have another GPU, try putting that in your current PC. Doing this will help you narrow down where the problem is. If the 2080ti black screens in the other PC, then it's a good bet that there's something wrong with the card. If the other GPU black screens in the current PC, then there's something wrong with the rest of the PC.

Last edited:

Spartagus423

Reputable
Nov 29, 2019
Well the truth be told I am not sure where to look...Going through the Reliability Monitor I see errors are under Windows..

4/22/2023
Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8024200B: NVIDIA - Display - 31.0.15.1694.

Windows Hardware Error LiveKernelEvent 141. I opened up system and put an Exhaus fan on side of case yesterday Noctua NF-A14 140mm which is helping a bit but it is a tad noisy. I connected it to the High Amp Fan connector on Mobo and it is running at 1610RPM even though I said Silenced in BIOS. My temps run between 69-75 now in game (Path of Exile) with stream playing in background and 10 tabs open. It jumps between 67-75

I looked at all my chords in case all seem fine no signs of wear at all.

Random issue is can it be a Faulty DisplayPortChord that plugs into monitor to 2080Ti? I have had sometimes where I turn my PC on and the display won't come on until I restart/unplug multiple times to get it to read but when it is on it works fine. Could it just be something as simple as a faulty DVI chord that plugs into my Asus PG279Q ROG Swift to my 2080TI?

Last edited:

Spartagus423

Reputable
Nov 29, 2019
Yea I reset my BIOS and added an exhaust fan on the side of computer attached to the HAmp Header and the fan runs at 1300 rpm currently set in Bios as Silenced.

Seemed to help with heat haven't had any black screens since I added the fan on side. In game I range between 68-75 but idle at like 48-52 out of game but I do notice that the fan ramps up randomly sometimes but my heat stays the same.

Should I attach my exhaust side fan to another header? I just set in BIOS for silenced to try and help with the noise and so far it is OK but it does randomly ramp up which can be annoying