Random black screen while playing games...

Anarcko

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
Ok so, guess what, another question of the same nature as the last 10 billion ppl who posted...

My situation:
So, while playing various games such as LoL, or even a low end game such as AirMech...My monitor goes black as if it goes to sleep. I can hear sound loops of whatever game I was playing until I manually reset comp via reset button on tower. Weird thing is I can still talk to ppl on ts for a bit before its cut off too. I have found that within seconds after my screen going black I'm getting dc'd from whatever game I was in though still able to communicate via ts.

Please Note: This randomly started a few days ago, completely out of the blue. I was running PERFECTLY fine up until this started. I run my computer 24/7, pretty much have no life outside of it, point being I'm always on it so in 2 years, literally no issues and this randomly happens? Makes no sense...

I've spent countless days scouring the net for answers. MANY ppl have nearly identical issues and I am continually seeing the same questions being asked and though some ppl find solutions, I'm not seeing any actually posted. Nor do the things I'm constantly seeing ppl suggest as a fix, actually work.

Is there an official answer/solution to this problem?

~ Computer Specs ~

Manufacturer: Cybertron PC
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 240 Processor 2.80 GHz
RAM: 3.00 GB
System Type: 32-bit OS
Graphics Card: GeForce 9400 GT ~ Driver Version: 334.89
Windows Version: Windows 7

I have DirectX.
I have updated my graphics card drivers.
I've installed all windows updates.

Solution
Well, this is why I recommended to swap out parts one at a time.
This way you can locate the culprit, and not replace something that`s not broken.
So you can replace the PSU, then do some gaming, and check if it crashes. The same with all the other parts. Just remember to only have 1 part changed at a time in your system. If you will replace them all at once and you get no crash, you will still not know which one is to blame.

I just hope it`s not something important, but I have a feeling that it`s either the PSU or the GPU that are to blame here.
The best way fo you I think would be if the RAM is deffective.

Also, until you manage to get the other PC for swapping parts, try to clean you PC, and get all the dust out of there. Maybe...

Pr3di

Honorable
I really don`t think this is your monitor, but if you can get one for a few hours, you can test with a different monitor.
If it would be your PSU, I`m thinking the PC should crash immediately, not be awake for a bit more, but I might be wrong.
I`m thinking that your GPU is overheating, or your RAM is causing this.
If possible, can you get a friend come over with his PC so you can test out a different PSU and RAM?
The same should be done for the GPU, but you would need to uninstall all driver remains from your system ,and install the driver for the new GPU.

Let us know if you can try out any of these things.

Anarcko

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014

Ye I can try testin that stuff out as I got someone I can ask. If its the PSU, are we talking just the power cord or the whole shebang? My first inclination was to go out and buy a new graphics card but drummin up the coin for it to might not be the issue is proving to be difficult. If I'm to replace something I need a guarenteed solution.

I appreciate the response btw : )

Pr3di

Honorable
Well, this is why I recommended to swap out parts one at a time.
This way you can locate the culprit, and not replace something that`s not broken.
So you can replace the PSU, then do some gaming, and check if it crashes. The same with all the other parts. Just remember to only have 1 part changed at a time in your system. If you will replace them all at once and you get no crash, you will still not know which one is to blame.

I just hope it`s not something important, but I have a feeling that it`s either the PSU or the GPU that are to blame here.
The best way fo you I think would be if the RAM is deffective.

Also, until you manage to get the other PC for swapping parts, try to clean you PC, and get all the dust out of there. Maybe this is just due to the dust in the GPU cooler or PSU, and it`s over-heating.

Solution

Anarcko

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014

I'll let you know later today how she goes. Thanks for the tips.

dwysywd

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

lol, i'm guessing you have this problem? Well, I'm in the same boat. Just started happening on a pc that only plays games and has not been upgraded/moved in 1 year. My problem started on 1/15/18