Sep 4, 2019
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
MB: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi, S-AM4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz 16GB
GPU: RX 5700 XT ASUS TUF Gaming
M.2 SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold PSU 650W
Monitor: MSI Optix MAG271CQR

I just built this computer, ive installed all the supposed necessary drivers, but i get constant random black screens for about 2-4 seconds at a time; they usually happen when i open some window or some animations happen on screen, even happens when i select fields to start writing in. Games dont work at all, screen goes black for 2-4 seconds and the game crashes (Managed to play Minecraft for about 20 sec). I also noticed that AMD Radeon Settings freezes every time after a black screen happens, only way to use it again is to close all its tasks in task manager and restart it. I get the "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered" each time a black screen happens . I also notice that the screen freezes first, and cursor is actually moveable for 1 sec and then it goes black

Ive reseated my gpu several times, and checked the power cables. I have also reinstalled the display drivers several times, one time with a clean reinstall using Display Driver Uninstaller (currently running 19.8.2) Using HDMI instead of DP seems to cause less black screens during normal use ( i THINK ) but still goes black when starting games. I have latest BIOS update and tested with DOCP on and off.

It couldnt possibly be the PSU Wattage? Anyone got any clue? Hopefully the info provided could help someone narrow it down at least.

It couldnt possibly be the PSU Wattage?

No. I don't think so. 600 Watts is the minimum recommended, and you also have a decent PSU. This shouldn't pose any problem, but can you check the GPU by using some other PSU, if possible e?

Are you on a Fresh and a clean Windows OS install ? How OLD is your PSU, by the way ? It's hard to comment whether this is a software, or a hardware issue, as of now. I suspect a fault with either the GPU or the PSU though.

Have you tried running a MEMTEST on the memory modules ? Is that a brand new GPU from ASUS ?

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019
No. I don't think so. 600 Watts is the minimum recommended, and you also have a decent PSU. This shouldn't pose any problem, but can you check the GPU by using some other PSU, if possible e?

Are you on a Fresh and a clean Windows OS install ? How OLD is your PSU, by the way ? It's hard to comment whether this is a software, or a hardware issue, as of now. I suspect a fault with either the GPU or the PSU though.

Have you tried running a MEMTEST on the memory modules ? Is that a brand new GPU from ASUS ?

Thanks for reply! I suspect so too... Every component is brand new, fresh and clean os, drivers and everything. I will try a memtest, but memory seems to be fine tho.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.