Question Random black screens in games after PC upgrade.

Aug 9, 2019
Hello,

Few days ago I've decided to upgrade my PSU, GPU and CPU. Everything seemed fine at first glance, computer booted just fine, temperatures during benchmarks and stress tests were fine as well...until I tried to play bunch of games. In some games, my screen goes completely black for a few seconds, and then goes back to normal during gameplay. Then the same thing happens over and over again...and I admit...I feel kind of lost at this point. This happens every few minutes, and I simply have no idea what's the issue. I thought it was my PSU so I tried to replace it - but no luck. So I thought It's either my GPU or CPU, but both work perfectly fine during benchmarks and stress tests. I simply have no idea what's the culprit here. Could this actually be a faulty GPU? Or could this even be a problem with my CPU? Or is there something else I'm missing? My GPU drivers are up to date, and BIOS is updated as well, and there's nothing in event viewer, no sign of driver crash etc. So yeah...I'm completely lost at this point. Any help / suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Motherboard: MSI B350 TOMAHAWK
Processor: Ryzen 5 3600 (No OC)
Graphics Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER VENTUS OC, 8GB GDDR6
Ram : Kingston HyperX Predator 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200
Power supply: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold - 850W / Seasonic S12II-620 - 620W (Tried both, same issue)

My apologies if I forgot anything, this is my first time posting here.

PC Tailor

Dignified
Herald
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Have you monitored GPU and CPU temperatures under load?
You say this only occurs during gaming?
Sooner sounds like a GPU problem at first glance.
Presumably you had no issues prior to the hardware upgrades?

Aug 9, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Have you monitored GPU and CPU temperatures under load?
You say this only occurs during gaming?
Sooner sounds like a GPU problem at first glance.
Presumably you had no issues prior to the hardware upgrades?
Thank you for the warm welcome!

Yes, GPU tempature reached maximum of 81°C, while CPU mostly hangs around 70-77°C~, but once reached as high as 84°C in my GPU-Z log. I'll make sure to get a better cooler or improve the airflow for the CPU once I solved this issue.
Yes, this happens only during gaming.
And indeed, I had no issues prior to upgrade.

In worst case scenario, I still have few days to return the GPU.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS