Question Random black screens on Gigabyte M28U monitor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Araraura

Reputable
Feb 17, 2019
Hello. Around 2 months ago I bought my new PC and a Gigabyte M28U monitor which is connected to my GPU via HDMI 2.1. I also have another 1080p monitor connected to the same GPU.

For the first month or so the monitor worked well without issues, but sometime after that it started doing this weird thing where it would suddenly restart itself; the screen would go black as if the power suddenly turned off, show the Gigabyte splash logo, start and then repeat all of that every 5-10 minutes or so. Every time that happens, Windows acts as if the monitor got disconnected and reconnected again, and that can mess up any open programs I have. The monitor also becomes a bit dim afterwards, and to fix it I need to turn HDR off and on again.

Very rarely it doesn't show the Gigabyte logo and instead just shows a black screen for 2 seconds before coming back up again. When that happens it doesn't have the annoying side effects of windows "redetecting" the monitor and messing up HDR. It's kinda like it blinked.

Sometimes it can go for hours without an issue, and then out of nowhere start restarting every 5-10 minutes. Sometimes it can just start rebooting soon after I turn my PC on the next day.

When it restarts I often hear a popping sound in my headphones (but not outside of it). It's also the only thing that's restarting - my PC and 2nd monitor keep functioning without an issue.
It happens no matter what I do at my PC. It happens when gaming, when watching a video, when browsing, even when just completely idle on the desktop.
I googled the issue and a few other people have a similar issue, but no one seemed to find a solution.
I tried almost everything I can think of:

• Unplug and plug the monitor again
  • Change HDMI ports
  • Try DP instead of HDMI
  • Turn the refresh rate down to 120hz
  • Turn off HDR
  • Turn off KVM
  • Test if it happens on a PS5 with HDR and 120hz (it does)
  • Change HDMI cables
  • Change power cable
  • Update the monitor firmware to the latest version (F10)

I'm seriously at my wits' end and I have no idea what to do. I'm hearing some people reinstalled their GPU driver and that fixed it, but seeing as this issue also happens on my PS5 I doubt it'll work. I don't think it's an electrical issue because one of the people who also had this problem tried connecting the monitor to a UPS and it did nothing.

My PC specs in case they're needed:
AMD 7950x3D
32GB RAM
AMD 7900XTX
1TB Samsung 990 Pro
Corsair RM850x SHIFT
Asus Prime X670-E PRO WIFI

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
I would contact Gigabyte and your seller to make sure they're aware of the issue. If a firmware update on the panel didn't' alleviate the issue then I feel like there might be an issue with the panel itself.

For your PC, make sure to use DDU to remove all GPU drivers, then manually reinstall with the latest drivers sourced off of AMD's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

BIOS version for your motherboard?

Araraura

Reputable
Feb 17, 2019
I would contact Gigabyte and your seller to make sure they're aware of the issue. If a firmware update on the panel didn't' alleviate the issue then I feel like there might be an issue with the panel itself.

For your PC, make sure to use DDU to remove all GPU drivers, then manually reinstall with the latest drivers sourced off of AMD's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

BIOS version for your motherboard?
Gigabyte are just telling me to take it with the seller, and the seller will not even look at it because it's been over a month since I bought it.

I uninstalled the drivers with DDU like you said and reinstalled as an admin. It's still happening.
I also tried to see if DSC was the issue, so I turned my refresh rate down to 120hz, changed to YCbCr 4:2:0 with 8-bits and disabling HDR, but even then it still reboots sometimes.
AjZAUBX.png

BIOS version is 1616

I also noticed that sometimes I'm hearing little zap/popping/cracking sound in my headphones, which is an indicator of the monitor almost tripping up and rebooting, which I know because sometimes there's a glitch/static artifact on it for a frame, which lines up with the zap sound. And also because when it trips and reboots, there is a zap sound too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS