ChristianO

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
As the title states - for the past few weeks I have been experiencing random restarts / black screen in Windows 10 while gaming or consuming media. This doesn't occur when idle, as I have let my PC run at idle for hours just to test this theory. I have tried to replicate this error and nothing. I can sometimes play games as intensive as FF15 for an hour or two on high with no crashes, then it will crash while playing way less intensive games such as League of Legends. The time range varies and I am unsure of what could be causing this issue and I am at a loss because of this. I have seen it restart multiple times almost instantly and then hours of gaming is okay with days in between - there is never a blue screen no matter how hard I tried to force one to see an error code.

The issue began after installing an NVME drive so I believe that may be the culprit although I don’t understand why this would be happening.

Here is all the info I have gathered/am able to provide at this moment:
Current Build (Built in 2019)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (Not OCd')
GPU: Radeon RX 80 Series (Red Devil)
MoBo: Prime B450M-A
RAM: GEIL DDR4 16GB
STORAGE:
  • Kingston 240GB SSD (Boot Drive)
  • Samsung 970 NVME 1 TB
  • SeaGate Barracuda 2TB
Tests Run/Tasks Performed:
  • CPU Stress Test - No crash
  • GPU Stress Test / Benchmarks - No crash
  • Mem Test - Not run
  • Driver Verify performed on a number of drivers - could not replicate issue
  • Storage devices both Kingston & Samsung SSD manager software showing healthy
  • FULL Windows 10 Reinstall (twice)
Drivers:
  • CPU/GPU/Storage/Misc. Devices up to date
Temps:
  • CPU Idle: 29° C
  • CPU Load: ~70° C
  • GPU Idle: 40° C
  • GPU Load: ~70° C
Event View logs before crash (fairly consistent although error event 7000 is from the latest crash):
  • 'ERROR EVENT 7000, Service Control Manager' - TIME: 7:27:27 PM
    • The AMDRyzenMasterDriver service failed to start due to the following error: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.
  • 'EVENT 11, secnvme' - TIME: 7:34:13 PM
    • Physical Device 0x144d Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB is on-line

• 'EVENT 6, FilterManager' - 7:34:13 PM
    • File System Filter 'Wof' (10.0, ‎2024‎-‎08‎-‎23T10:35:41.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

• File System Filter 'FileCrypt' (10.0, ‎2002‎-‎03‎-‎01T07:12:42.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

• File System Filter 'npsvctrig' (10.0, ‎2025‎-‎01‎-‎05T22:41:12.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

• 'Event 41, Kernel-Power' - 7:34:13 PM
    • The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Edit:
I have been since able to recreate the issue (more often than not) when running a tab in Google Chrome (Monitor 2) and playing Genshin Impact (Monitor 1).

The "AMDRyzenMasterDriver service failed to start due to the following error: Cannot create a file when that file already exists" has not been seen in the last few crashes.

Last edited:
As the title states - for the past few weeks I have been experiencing random restarts / black screen in Windows 10 while gaming or consuming media. This doesn't occur when idle, as I have let my PC run at idle for hours just to test this theory. I have tried to replicate this error and nothing. I can sometimes play games as intensive as FF15 for an hour or two on high with no crashes, then it will crash while playing way less intensive games such as League of Legends. The time range varies and I am unsure of what could be causing this issue and I am at a loss because of this. I have seen it restart multiple times almost instantly and then hours of gaming is okay with days in between - there is never a blue screen no matter how hard I tried to force one to see an error code.

Here is all the info I have gathered/am able to provide at this moment:
Current Build (Built in 2019)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (Not OCd')
GPU: Radeon RX 80 Series (Red Devil)
MoBo: Prime B450M-A
RAM: GEIL DDR4 16GB
STORAGE:
  • Kingston 240GB SSD (Boot Drive)
  • Samsung 970 NVME 1 TB
  • SeaGate Barracuda 2TB
Tests Run/Tasks Performed:
  • CPU Stress Test - No crash
  • GPU Stress Test / Benchmarks - No crash
  • Mem Test - Not run
  • Driver Verify performed on a number of drivers - could not replicate issue
  • Storage devices both Kingston & Samsung SSD manager software showing healthy
  • FULL Windows 10 Reinstall (twice)
Drivers:
  • CPU/GPU/Storage/Misc. Devices up to date
Temps:
  • CPU Idle: 29° C
  • CPU Load: ~70° C
  • GPU Idle: 40° C
  • GPU Load: ~70° C
Event View logs before crash (fairly consistent although error event 7000 is from the latest crash):
  • 'ERROR EVENT 7000, Service Control Manager' - TIME: 7:27:27 PM
    • The AMDRyzenMasterDriver service failed to start due to the following error: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.
  • 'EVENT 11, secnvme' - TIME: 7:34:13 PM
    • Physical Device 0x144d Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB is on-line

• File System Filter 'Wof' (10.0, ‎2024‎-‎08‎-‎23T10:35:41.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

• File System Filter 'FileCrypt' (10.0, ‎2002‎-‎03‎-‎01T07:12:42.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

• File System Filter 'npsvctrig' (10.0, ‎2025‎-‎01‎-‎05T22:41:12.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

• 'Event 41, Kernel-Power' - 7:34:13 PM
    • The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Edit:
I have been since able to recreate the issue (more often than not) when running a tab in Google Chrome (Monitor 2) and playing Genshin Impact (Monitor 1).

The "AMDRyzenMasterDriver service failed to start due to the following error: Cannot create a file when that file already exists" has not been seen in the last few crashes.
Have you restored the bios to default and tried to reset the settings to docp for ram and made sure you had the latest bios?

ChristianO

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
Have you restored the bios to default and tried to reset the settings to docp for ram and made sure you had the latest bios?

Yes, I forgot to include that in my list. I’ve reset the BIOS to default settings which still led to the black screens. After the default settings I updated the BIOS to the latest and still am having issues.

The errors began after installing the NVME drive. My next step is to remove it to see if I can replicate the error. I think the culprit may be the NVME, and if not that then the PSU/MoBo.

Yes, I forgot to include that in my list. I’ve reset the BIOS to default settings which still led to the black screens. After the default settings I updated the BIOS to the latest and still am having issues.

The errors began after installing the NVME drive. My next step is to remove it to see if I can replicate the error. I think the culprit may be the NVME, and if not that then the PSU/MoBo.
Have you set the nvme to Gen 3 not gen4

TRENDING THREADS