Random black screens, safe mode doesn't help. What to do?

Molotov89

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
Hi all,

After troubleshooting on google i figured I need some help with my situation. It's a new PC that I built 4 weeks ago. A very nice mini ITX case that runs super silent and stays cool. But I have a nasty issue, hope someone can help me with it..

The issue:

At random moments, the screen goes entirely black for about 2-3 seconds. Then the image is back. When this happens this is bad news, because after that first time, the black screen always returns after a minute or so. Then, usually, but not always, the intervals between the black screens shortens, to the point where sometimes the screen is more black than showing image. It's also important to note that the monitor doesn't lose contact or power. The monitor stays on, no info on screen saying contact is lost or connection failed. Just plain black. Also, the cables are firmly in place, wiggling the cables doesn't trigger it.
Also, during the black screen, the PC doesn't crash or anything. Only the image is black.

Usually I get tired of it after a few black screens and I turn it off. But 2 times, I let it happen just to see where it leads to. I thought, maybe it's something that happens and then goes away. It didn't, one time the screen image became striped-ish (all over the screen, horizontal stripes were seen, messing with the original image), and one time the screen started flickering between black and image insanely fast, over 10 times a second.

I can't get a grasp on the cause of this issue. Sometimes I'm playing a game and it happens within 20 minutes, but other times it happens after 3 hours of gaming. And I can hear you thinking it might be the temperatures but I have checked and the GPU gets 72 degrees celcius at most, the CPU around 55 degrees. And that is while running heaven benchmark for half an hour at max settings. Plus, it also occurs during browsing or even while doing nothing at all.

Funny thing, there are days that I don't even have the issue.

What I tried:

- install latest drivers; didn't help
- Booting in safe mode to exclude driver cause; didn't work. Still had the black screens.
- trying a different displayport on the gpu; no effect
- Restarting the PC; doesn't help. In the end I just turn it off, and after an hour the problem is usually gone (for a while).
- Monitor off --> on; didn't help.

This is my setup:

- MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC
- Intel core i5 6500 cpu
- MSI GTX 1070 gaming X gpu
- Be Quiet Dark power pro 11 psu
- Be Quiet Dark rock 3
- G.Skill Value F4-2133C15D-16GNS
- Fractal define nano s case
- Samsung 500GB SSD 850 EVO
- Dell U2512H monitor (using displayport)

My question:

Have any of you had an issue like this, and what whas the problem / how have you solved it?

Thanks,
Daan

Molotov89

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016

I tried that, no help. What did help so far, strangely, was to use a HDMI cable instead of DP. No black screens for the last few days. Will give an update in a week.

Could it be a bad DP cable? It came with the screen.

Molotov89

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016

Interestingly enough, the problem is still gone. Might be the cable then. Didn't expect this problem from a cable though.. expected more like a bad connection (screen losing contact, showing "no input" kinda thing). But I'll try a new DP cable and update.